Magic erasers on windows?

fishfryOctober 13, 2007

Just wondering if anyone had used these on outside windows?

I have tons of little brown dots all over my picture window from something called "Shotgun" fungus which is caused from certain landscape mulches..

These little devils are on like super glue.. I've used the Mr.Clean pads on the siding but was a little nervous about scratching the glass with them..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I initially tried scotchbright backed sponges on mineral deposits from my shallow water well supplied sprinklers misting some windows leaving those extra hard water deposits that nothing seemed to remove. Desperation tried the scratchy Scotchbrite backed sponges... worked!

Now use them on all the exterior windows. Usually with stinky ammonia & water. Then hose it off and follow with a slightly damp miracle cloth, maybe a dry one too. Pretty easy and fast.
Reflective foil like tint on some of those windows really show up tinyest specs and they come out marvelous.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 6:32AM
meg711

I'd be worried about the Magic Erasers ruining any protective coatings on your windows. If you do use them on your windows, make sure the pad is wet. A dry eraser will scratch your glass.

I'm curious what the "shotgun" fungus looks like as I've found odd-looking dark brown dots outside our house that I can't figure out. Can you please provide more info? Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 8:33PM
premier

Why not just use a window scrapper and scrap them off the glass?

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 1:22AM
fishfry

Sorry about the delay. In respose to Premier, I did use a scraper first but they leave a stain which is amazingly resilient. The Magic erasers worked great on the siding but was worried about dulling or scratching the glass.

In response to Meg. Google Artillery fungus or Shotgun fungus and you'll get a host of info.. It's relatively new and is found in landscaping mulches around the house. It prefers shady moist areas and unfortunately when the temperatures are right eg. low 60's, It shoots its spores up to 20' and generally towards bright shiny objects like windows and bright siding.. Weird I know but thats what I read. Apparently its a big problem in Mi,Oh,Pa.

Supposedly the problem can be reduced by adding new mulch every year so that the decomposed stuff gets buried.. I removed all of mine in that area and put in fresh Pine nuggets which are not as likely to cause it.

Some Homeowners have actually had to completely re-side their homes because it is that stubborn.. It will also blast light colored cars..

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 11:42AM
lindac

The problem can be eliminated by using rot resistant mulches, like cedar or cypress...or covering existing mulches with the same. Itr doesn't hurt anything...nothing harmful but it does leave difficult to remove spots on light colored surfaces.
And it prefers sunny moist conditions...that's why it shoots it's spoors toward shiny or light colored things.
It's not new, but has become more of a nuisance since regulations are restricting burning and the kinds of things going into the landfill. Tree trimmings are ground up for mulch and the spoors may be in the wood.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 1:59PM
premier

Have you tried ammonia & water? Ammonia is great at removing things.

I would get rid of the mulch.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
cleaning brass & copper
Hello everyone I somehow inherited a box of old old...
laalasa
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™