Hoover Floormate

betsyhacOctober 14, 2009

Ok, so based on the reviews here on GW, I bought one. The jury is still out; I'll report back later. If you have one, and you don't use the Hoover solution, what do you use and in what proportion? Not only is the Hoover solution expensive, it's impossible to find.

Thx in advance,

Betsy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pepfun1

I'm also wondering what people are using in place of the Hoover soluntion. I just found the basic model 2800 at our local thrift shop. I'm not kidding this thing has to be brand new! checked it all out and it's about spotless so went ahead and splurged the $20 they were asking for the unit. Just used it on my linoleum kitchen floor and so far I like it. Used a vinegar/water solution since I wasn't sure what else I could use. Good luck with yours Betsy! I HATE mopping....honestly would rather clean a toilet so this is going to help A LOT!!!
Pep

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 6:59PM
betsyhac

Oh c'mon all you ultimate cleaners. Y'all talked me into this thing! Please tell me what you use in it.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 11:03PM
jannie

I bought a used Hoover Floormate on Ebay. It worked okay at first, then the buttons that spray and pick up the solution broke. I had no recourse,it had no guarantee, so I threw the danged thing out. I was able to buy one bottle of the solution, I still have half of it left.Guess I'll use it for spot-cleaning my wood floors. I can't recommend the Floormate.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 8:32AM
betsyhac

Forgot to beg in the subject line too :)

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 8:59AM
dilly_dally

Be careful about using vinegar in those machines. I was using vinegar to save money over using the expensive cleaner that they sell and the vinegar formed a mother. I may have ruined the machine and I only have myself to blame for listening to those on discussion boards who recommended vinegar. I could kick myself for falling for it.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 9:57PM
groomingal

I have a floormate and love it- I ruined my first one that was a yard sale find by putting pine sol in it- yeah I didn't know any better. Bought the wide path one new and the directions said to not use solvents but the recommended floor cleaner or vinegar solution.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 1:45AM
dudleyfuddpucker

I love the FloorMate, and couldn't go back to mopping (it's like spreading the dirt around vs. putting down only clean water). My first one admittedly died after only 6 years, but I replaced it with a widepath that's currently going on 1.5 years with no issues.

Don't use vinegar or Pine Sol, but Hoover's Floor to Floor solution lasts ages if you use it at half the recommended strength. I actually prefer it at half strength; I notice no loss in cleaning ability or pick up, and zero residue when the floor dries.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 4:30PM
sowngrow

I love the Hoover Floormate as far as cleaning my tile floors goes. I don't like cleaning the machine parts afterward, but that's what's necessary.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 2:24PM
jannie

I had a Hoover Floormate, it broke after only one or two uses. I would not recommend this product for 3 reasons-Hoover no longer makes it, it is made of cheap plastic and easily breaks easily (what happened to mine) and it is darned near impossible to find the liquiud cleaner for it.

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 9:04AM
dudleyfuddpucker

Sorry to hear you got a defective product, but your other two statements are quite false. Hoover still manufactures 7 different model variations of the FloorMate, all available and visible on their website:

http://www.hoover.com/productcategory.aspx?use=44&ds=false

The solution is available at any and every Walmart I've ever been to, but even if you oppose shopping at the big W it can be easily purchased at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-40303048-48-Ounce-Cleaner-FloorMate/dp/B0009GCYUE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264006546&sr=8-5

My FloorMate is going on two years, no problems, It replaced an earlier module that admittedly did break after 6 years of very frequent use. Use the solution at half strength and not only does it clean as good with no residue, but the bottle lasts a long, long time too.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™