Gloves???

shwetagargOctober 23, 2008

I have been using the yellow long gloves for all my cleaning purposes.How can i save my gloves from tearing off...i am very carefull when working wearing them but it seems every month i have to use like two pairs of gloves...it is turing out expensive.It costs $1 at walmart for a pair or maybe sometimes 2 pairs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilly_dally

Buy exam gloves. Cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: 100 Gloves for $5.99

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 4:46PM
linnea56

I like the thicker yellow gloves because then I can use very hot water. I tried the exam gloves but they conduct heat too easily and are too hard to re-use. I stock up at the dollar store or at Big Lots. They are maybe a little thinner than the brand ones, but not so you'd notice.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:23PM
carolpolki

How about switching to non-toxic (green) cleaning products? You can then forget about using gloves.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:27AM
linnea56

You'll still get dry skin from washing dishes. If a soap or detergent is capable of getting grease off your dishes, it will suck all the moisture out of your hands, "green" or not green.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:12PM
dilly_dally

Carolpolki, Just plain hot water will ruin your hands too. Gloves also protect against bacteria entering skin through micro cuts and abrasions that you can get while cleaning or gardening. I don't care how "green" my toilet bowl cleaner is.........I'm still wearing gloves.

Because my hands sweat if I wear the gloves a long time I sometimes wear cotton gloves underneath. This helps insulate them from the hot water too.

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 12:52AM
blackcats13

Oh I like the cotton gloves idea ... I wonder if it would work to do the hand lotion thing in the winter while I clean?! Then I'd have a clean house and soft hands!

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 11:16PM
carolpolki

Dilly_dally, you're right about the bacteria entering cuts in your hands; however, with my cleaning products I never get those abrasions because there are no strong chemicals in them - yet - they clean as well as those that do have the chemicals, and you don't need to use scalding hot water either. Don't know about you, but I sure don't like to wear gloves when I'm working.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 8:58AM
bronwynsmom

Yes, the lotion-cotton gloves-rubber gloves combination will soothe your hands while you clean. Actually, lotion alone under gloves works in a pinch, but it does accumulate a bit on the inside of the gloves. I have never been good about wearing gloves for anything, including painting and repairing furniture finishes and gardening. It has taken a toll on my hands. By the time I'm too old to clean, I will probably glow in the dark from all the chemicals I've absorbed through my skin...so I have turned over a new leaf.
I use Gardener's Nail and Cuticle Care by Earth Therapeutics (from the natural food store) - and, no, I have no commercial connection with them - under gloves, and it is wonderful. To be more frugal, I alternate with plain old Vaseline.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™