How does one clean an electronic remote?

albert_135October 28, 2009

I've a Dish Network remote that has gotten sluggish i.e. one must carefully depress each key firmly or it won't work.

Dish remotes are programmed to the specific TV so one cannot just go out and buy a generic replacement at WalMart.

Dish service is really, really quite tedious and very complicated and sometimes expensive. I have not contacted them yet. I want to avoid them if at all possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1971

Clean? I've never done it and probably should think about doing so. I don't think, unless you have REALLY messy remote habits, that your problem is with cleanliness. I assume you've replaced your batteries. If so and your remote still is unresponsive -- yes, indeed you can replace remotes and they can be programmed to your service and television model. We've done it a couple of times over the past 15 years with different TV's. Sometimes the remotes just become unworkable (for the lack of a better word). You should consider getting a new remote; read your manual and re-program your TV and service. It's done all the time -- good luck!

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 6:19PM
ebear1271

If you've already replaced the batteries, try using some peroxide on a toothbrush. Don't soak the brush, just make it damp then rub around the buttons. This should help loosen any surface dirt.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 11:09PM
oilpainter

Don't wet it use compressed air to loosen and then use a dry toothbrush--repeat if necessary. Then maintain it by using the air every once in a while

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 9:03AM
jannie

I occasionally clean all my "electronics" including phones, remotes,lightswitches, etc. by dabbing on some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip. Keeps things from getting "gunky".

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 3:29PM
Tricia

Absolutely rubbing alcohol. What every applicator you use, q-tip or paper towel make it just damp not wet with the alcohol. Alcohol will remove the gunk, kill the germs and evaporate fairly quickly.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 12:01PM
lurkandkibitz

Deep cleaning instructions, how to take it apart etc., may be found at How to Clean a Remote Control along with links to cleaning similar products.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™