best way to clean microwave:

monawOctober 17, 2008

The best way to clean a crud ridden microwave is to wet down a COTTON dish towel until it's almost dripping, put it in the microwave and run it on high for 4 minutes and leave it alone for about 10 minutes without opening the door. (no it won't catch on fire or hurt the towel either)

Remove the hot wet cloth carefully, then wipe down the whole inside with the wet towel followed by a clean dry cloth. You may have to let the hot cloth cool off a minute or two. You can squirt a little dish soap on the wet cloth if you want to cut through the grease.

This works like a charm no matter how dirty your microwave is!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I fill a pyrex bowl with water and stick it in the microwave and run it at least ten minutes. open the door, wipe down the sides with paper towels. For a nice smell, slice a lemon into the water.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 6:13PM
gayle0000

I agree with both of these methods. Any way you can get the inside warm and steamy, that's how the hard crud loosens up and wipes off.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 6:16AM
albert_135

And note OP says "cotton". Some synthetics burst into flame quickly. I really stunk up the place when I left a knitted potholder under a bowl in the microwave.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 2:04PM
Cynic

Like with a regular oven, it'll be much easier to clean if you wipe up spills immediately when using it. But how many of us actually do that? I don't! So I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup or a glass mug or two or a bowl or whatever with water, microwave to get it hot and steamy, let it sit for a while, wipe down and it's done.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 1:06AM
snowflakelover

I agree with all these methods. However, stay by the microwave with the dish towel. If the towel dries up, it WILL catch fire! The bowl is a much safer way. Add some lemon slices or orange slices. They smell delicious and the acid will eat through nasty messes.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 6:15PM
maimie

I learned yrs ago to just put a large container w/water & one drop of dishwashing liquid in. Turn on for several minutes & then let sit for a few minutes. A paper towel or microfiber cloth will take everything right off. The orange & lemon ideas are great!

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 1:44PM
xantippe

After years of battling microwave gunk, I found that what works for me is to mostly fill a glass measuring cup with water, add white vinegar and (optional) a couple of drops of lemon essential oil. Microwave the measuring cup for five minutes and after that let the microwave sit for five minutes unopened. Then just wipe away the condensation! It works perfectly.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Sponsored Products
Long Red Rim Plate
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Frigidaire 2.0 Countertop Microwave Oven
Overstock.com
Denby Cherry Cast Iron Oblong Dish - CIC-573
$140.00 | Hayneedle
Denby Azure Oven to Table Mini Casserole - Set of 2 - DENB266
$29.98 | Hayneedle
Sango 40-piece Bistro Black Stoneware Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com