Plumbing a stand alone tub

Aztec123May 20, 2014

Need a little help. We are currently refurbishing our master bath. There is a nice sized nook that a soaking tub will fit in nicely. We are going with a V+A standalone York. I have always assumed the tub filler would be on the far side of the tub, in the center, against the long wall of the nook. So when you walk in you see the tub, broadside, in its nook, with the filler on the far side (so you don�t have to step over it to get in the tub). Hopefully that makes sense.

Problem is my contractor is telling me it cannot be plumbed that way. He says it is frustrating that all the tub catalogs, and showrooms always show standalone tubs plumbed that way, but it is not possible. For any of them (i.e. not just my �nook� in my bathroom, or my plumbing). I think his contention is twofold � that there is not enough room between the tub and the wall for a plumber to work, and that the filler would stick too far into (over the edge of) the tub, unless the tub was pushed away from the wall a fair amount. Frankly I don�t care if the tub is pushed away from the wall a bit, the nook is plenty deep.

Is any of this making sense? Or do I have a lazy plumber? Does anyone have any pictures of real houses where it was plumbed this way?

Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

I'm going with lazy plumber.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:18AM
enduring

Call V&A tech support and ask.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 6:16PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

How wide is the tub? Having the filler across the tub becomes an issue when the tub is wide. You can't easily reach across to turn it off and on. That's why the filler usually goes to the narrow end.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:11PM
Aztec123

Good point! 31" wide. I'm sure I can reach it but will have to check with my wife. I will also call V&A tech support about installation.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?
I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my...
lineterry
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™