Claw Foot Tubs - pro/con

KS.farms_cooksMay 23, 2012

My husband reallllly would like a claw foot tub in the MB, I'm not so sure. I keep thinking about cleaning behind and under and not sure we have enough room to place it so it would look nice. We're in our mid 50's, so I also think about getting in and out and what that might be like. We are putting in a walk in shower so the tub probably won't get used that much. We're just wanting a good soaker for those cold winter nights. He has good memories of a house he lived in at college with a great claw foot tub. I'm thinking that house of college guys weren't too concerned about cleaning! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susieliz

We just hauled a huge cast iron one out of our MB. It was a total pain to clean under and behind it. It was about 6 inches away from the wall and I couldn't get to the floor between the tub and the wall without climbing into the tub. The few baths I took used a ton of hot water and it cooled down really quickly because the tub was such thick cast iron. Despite all this kvetching I loved the way it looked, but it is being replaced with a (more practical)walk in shower. I will admit I'm not much of a bath person so the benefits didn't outweigh the hassles.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:12PM
lavender_lass

I would love to have a claw foot tub (again) and it wasn't that difficult to clean around. If it's away from the wall a few inches, it would be easy to clean behind and under it, with a swiffer/mop.

We had one in a house we rented and it was wonderful, as long as you had a separate shower. Ours was both...wonderful tub, awkward place to shower. I have one in our remodeling plan!

Love this picture, from Sarah Richardson's farmhouse remodel...and my 'fancy' tub picture. From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:05PM
KS.farms_cooks

Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing. At lunch today, my hubby mentioned againg how much he would love to have that claw foot tub or a free standing. He has indulged me with lots of choices in our home remodel, I think I can give in this area. We're empty nesters, so it's not like the days when I had three children to bathe.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:28PM
nancylouise_gw

We have 2 claw foot tubs in our 100+ year old colonial. They are no more hard to clean then any other fixture in a bathroom. I just use a swifter mop as does the previous poster. They don't loose heat quickly. Put in the hot water first then add cold to the temp you like. I like to soak in the tub. Have spent a good 30 minutes comfortably in the tub without the water getting cold. Cast iron retains heat well. Indulge your husband in his soaking pleasure.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™