kateskouros, how is the mother of pearl holding up in your shower

threeapplesMay 20, 2012

I'm thinking of doing this as an accent in our shower, but can't find reviews about whether it holds up to being showered on. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kateskouros

hi threeapples, our troca shell tile has a special manufacturer applied water sealant. they are water tight and the surface is completely smooth and a very high gloss. looking at it, i can only imagine the fumes such a finish would give off. it seems ridiculous that a genuine shell tile would require this, but what do i know?

it was manufactured for me for use in wet areas. i didn't want grout lines, and found out i couldn't get them anyway due to the sealer that is applied.

where are you getting your accent tile from? they will know whether it is okay for use in wet areas. GL!

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threeapples

thanks, kate. your bathroom is the most gorgeous i've ever seen. i found some shell mosaic tiles online and they run about 20 per sq. ft and, for the area above our master bathroom vanity it will cost over $800. Unfortunately this is just way too expensive. So, now I'm off to price starfire glass paneling above the vanity and around it. thanks so much!

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™