I need a shortcut, or suggestions

Teri MastroianniOctober 19, 2008

I have clear glass shelves (entertaint center tower) that holds my stereo ,cd player,etc. as well as a matching piece that holds my tv and dvr equip. Every day it looks dusty, even right after I dust! I am thinking about covering them maybe, so it hides it better. Should I go with fabric or a frosted window covering? Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you in advance

Teri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The problem is all thpose components create static electricitu that attracts dust. Get an "ion shooter"...it's a sort of a gun thing that emits negative ions and keeps the static neutralized.
I am remembering very well when my son broke a beanbag chair....and those bean things just jumped up on the glass stereo cabinet....and when you shot them with the ion gun they fell off.Linda C

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 10:08AM
graywings123

Never heard of such a thing, but apparently it is called an antistatic gun. I don't think that's the answer to regular cleaning, but you learn something new every day.

Anyhow, back to your question. This is why I buy closed shelving units for audio and video devices. I doubt that you can retrofit coverings on an entertainment tower, but make sure that whatever you use allows the remotes to send the signal through - frosted glass or fabric won't.

For dusting them, I would try the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner or a lightly moistened microfiber cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: antistatic gun

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 10:31AM
jannie

I have a glass top coffee table. About once a month, I wasah it with Windex. In between, I dust with used dryer sheets. Don't know why, but they pick up every bit of dust.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 2:11PM
Teri Mastroianni

Thanks guys. It is 5 and 1/2 feet tall with 6 shelves. The glass isnt surrounded by anything so it shows EVERYTHING. Its frustrating. I clean it with swiffers and cleaners and it still shows too much for me. I dont think there would be a problem with reception, since it isnt really surrounding the equipment. I will dwfinatly check out the gun, and I may end up picking a frosted type liner or something. No matter what, It looks dusty and it drives me crazy! Thanks again!

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 6:42PM
eteinne

Hi,

I use "Endust" for Electronics. I use a "Micro-Fiber" towel dammpened and dry with a "Flour Sack " dish towel. This works very well for me. It's Anti-Static and the dust does not seem to build up as soon. It's great!

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 7:49PM
pammyfay

I think that if you use a frosted type liner, it just might look like its completely covered with dust! You might try looking at the patterned window films they sell (either Google it or look on eBay).

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 9:30PM
Teri Mastroianni

Very true! I bet you are right about that pammyfay! Thanks!

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | Fluteā„¢ Personal Light
YLiving.com
Steam Spa Royal Package for Steam Spa 7.5kW Steam Generators in Polished Brass
Beyond Stores
JOOLA USA INSIDE Table Tennis Table - 11200
$399.95 | Hayneedle
Simple Living Modernist Rectangular Tech Integrated Desk
Overstock.com
Milk Chocolate Egg - YELLOW
$40.00 | Horchow