Can I save my beloved pocketbook?

homebodymomOctober 13, 2011

Hello All,

I usually spend time in the Home Dec, and Pet forums but am searching for a cleaning miracle!

My beloved butterscotch colored leather pocketbook was recently doused with an entire bottle of beer! I soaked up as much as I could that night and treated it with top quality saddle soap the next day. The bag is badly stained and the saddle soap didn't touch the stains....

Any ideas on cleaning or possibly re-dying? I have nothing to lose at this point so ANY tips would help. I have contacted the manufacturer to see if they do any re-dying services. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I'm not an expert on leather care but I have never been able to get stains out of a butterscotch colored purse.

There are good leather dyes out there, such as Magic Mender, but the cost may exceed what the purse is worth.

I wonder whether you could even out the stain with more beer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Mender

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 10:25AM
jannie

Is there a shoe repair anywhere near you? I'd take it there and ask advice of an expert. I have a shoe repair guy locally. He dyes leather, sews it back together, replaced a broken purse strap, plus does shoe repairs of all kinds. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 10:25AM
homebodymom

thanks ! My dh suggested the beer idea too! I laughed and said I'd smell like a brewery ! No parent/teacher conferences for a while ;o)

I will ask at the local shoe repair place as well!

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™