bad tile installation?

shay321May 31, 2014

We just had our shower tiled and we had paper-faced glass mosaic 1"x1" tiles installed as an accent. Some of the tiles look chipped, some don't seem level, and some have what looks like thinset coming up through them. Is this bad workmanship or am I just looking for perfection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shay321

And another picture.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:10AM
bluerdgddrs

Have you tried cleaning them? It just looks like excess grout to me. Pretty tile :)

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:11AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Poor tile quality and hasn't been cleaned enough. Due to it's irregular textured nature, cleaning is more difficult than with standard tiles. The first is on you. The second is on the tiler, as he accepted the tile for install. Be a little lenient though, as most of the issue is the tile itself.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:22AM
shay321

Is $19/sf glass tile considered poor quality? It seems to be about mid-range price in comparison to the other tiles offered where I bought these. So there's nothing the installer could have done to make these tiles crack?

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:34AM
itltrot

I've paid more for glass mosaics and they were cracked, chipped and some even lost the finish. I highly doubt the tile setter chipped them especially in middle of the sheets. They probably weren't inspected well and bad pieces were used. And it looks like a lot of that will still clean up.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:29AM
shay321

That's good to hear - at least it is not due to installation and can be cleaned up! Thanks!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:35PM
HoustonRemodeler

Those particular tiles are notoriously difficult to make look smooth and flat. We charge double our usual rate for them. There are a lot of tiles that get removed and replaced during installation to make it look acceptable, and I still don't like it when its done.

If you want a glass tile look with straight grout edges, a smooth flat surface, and a consistent look, then buy other tiles.

On the whole this is fixable by spending some time with a popsicle stick making the grout joints look better.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Showers 101
I'm hoping there is someone who can direct me to a...
jpbenstock
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™