Problems with Niche
Here is my niche and as you can see I have a few problems.
I'll start from the beginning. This was nice and flat before I put the 5"Kerdi band on it. I couldn't find the sheet and I wasn't about to fork out $45 dollar for redgard just to do this. I'm on a very tight, cash only budget.
Anyway, the first time I put the Kerdi band on I used to much thinset. I tore most of it out and sanded and then reapplied. For the most part that worked but I couldn't get the left outside corner flat so there is a little hump there.
Of all the cuts I've had to make L shape has been frustrating and the most costly. I wasted a box of tiles just to get this far. The reason for that is I kept overshooting the insides corners. Yes, originally, this was at the grout line however due to some strange construction in the back of the studs, I had to move it.
I was told to make cuts slightly higher then the niche base and then thinset the mosaic to meet it. Which is from the picture is what I attempted to do but it doesn't look right and I would lose the slope. Honestly, I really don't want to make anymore cuts until someone can point me in the right direction. I love to pay someone to do this part but between the plumber, the drywall guy and exterminator. The only person I afford is me.