Burned teflon pot

marie26October 4, 2007

I burned my favorite large teflon pot. I tried soaking a fabric softener sheet in it but that didn't work. Perhaps it's because of the teflon. Scrubbing and soaking hasn't helped either.

Does anyone know how I can get this clean?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iasheff

Try soaking with a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent and hot water. I let mine soak overnight. Everything usually wipes clean. You may need to reseason the pan!

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 9:08AM
centralcacyclist

It may be ruined if you burned the teflon and not just the food.

Telfon doesn't require seasoning...(?)

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 10:58AM
arizonarose

I was just going to say teflon doesn't need to be seasoned. Maybe your thinking of cast iron?

I burned a teflon pan once & had to pitch it..it was wrecked. Also teflon gives off a gas if it is sitting on a hot burner and smoking. If you can't get it clean by soaking and using a teflon scrubber on it you probably should just toss it.

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 12:05PM
iasheff

I don't have any teflon pans so I didn't know that they didn't need to be seasoned :) My pans do if they go in the dishwasher. I don't even know what mine are-- were a wedding gift 25 years ago. I think I am actually entitled to a new set after using these so long but hard to justify since these are still fine!

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 2:50PM
socks

I think you should throw it away.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 11:01PM
ebear1271

Try sprinkling baking soda on it and then spray with white vinegar and let it soak. If the baking soda hardens, just spray with vinegar again. This is how I clean my oven, it should work on the pan.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 11:42PM
bennyk

The question is whether teflon is safe once it has been burnt. The research appears to say no, due to the toxic offgassing of teflon. The EPA has ordered Teflon (and other companies that make similar products) to decrease the toxic substances within four years. For now, it looks like the only safe bet it to get rid of the pot. I'm disappointed too, because I just burnt a new teflon pot.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 2:34PM
albert_135

Someone suggested throwing it away. What metal is it? At our local recyclers aluminum pans are purchased at a higher rate than are aluminum cans.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 10:39AM
jannie

I had a teflon saucepan that got burned inside but I continued using it. Until one day I decided to make a lemon meringue pie. I was boiling the lemon pudding filling in the teflon pot. As I stirred, I notied black flecks in the mixture. Burned teflon crud! I tossed it out. I felt so bad, feeding my family foods I'd prepared in that pot burned teflon bits!

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 12:43PM
gardenlover25

Me too. I also burned the Teflon pot. I just soak it warm water with diswashing liquid. Leave for whole night and you will see the stains at the surface.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Sponsored Products
Campania International Rustic Rolled Rim Cast Stone Planter - 11.5 in. - P-550-A
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Atlantis Saucepan With Lid - Demeyere
$269.00 | HORNE
Forest Spirit Planter in White
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Ivory and Rust 3 ft. x
Home Depot
Oops A Daisy Lolita Pot Holder & Towel Set
$11.99 | zulily
WMF Function 4 Cookware 10 Piece Set - 0788109990
$915.00 | Hayneedle
Rotoluxe | Rotoluxeâ„¢ Chubbie Planter - Indoor Use