A fireplace or not?

phoggieApril 12, 2012

As must of you know my long saga, I won't repeat it.....

but it seems that I am probably going to build.

The house I build must be modest, but I want a house that can be resold in the event of my death or nursing home.

I am newly widowed, 70 yrs. old, and DH and I put a fireplace in our present home and rarely use it. It just sits there looking pretty...and holds pictures and candles~

I am looking at house plans to have built and I am wondering if a fireplace is some place I can cut some cost, or does it really add that much in value. This house will be built in a 55+ area, so mostly widowed people or just a couple.

Would you or would you not put in a fireplace?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass

Yes, but I would make it a gas fireplace. It would be less maintenance, with the convenience of instant ambience, by pushing a button. A fireplace does give the room a focal point and I'm guessing your living area will be open to the kitchen/dining area, too. You will have the lovely view outside, but since you have winters...I would put in the fireplace :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:01AM
ILoveRed

Phoggie-did you notice on the last thread that Renovator8 who is a talented architect on our forum left a note for you?

Might want to check that out.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:22AM
dekeoboe

How much would you actually use the fireplace? If you won't use it much, then it would be a great place to cut expenses. Also, no fireplace can make it easier for furniture placement.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:01PM
phoggie

No,Red Lover, I did not see it....I'll look for it or if you know where it is, please post it....THANKS!

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 4:02PM
booboo60

phoggie,

I agree with lavender lass, I would put in a gas fireplace, especially if you have winters!

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:35PM
mayberry_moon

Me too! Gas fireplace is cozy and there are lots of different sizes you could tuck in different places.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:58PM
SpringtimeHomes

Iam with dekobee, No fireplace. Its a waste of upfront money, wastes monthly expenses on energy (fuel + loss of conditioned air) and compromises indoor air quality.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:59PM
marcolo

Gas fireplace.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:10PM
wvmama

Definitely fireplace!

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 4:31PM
LuAnn_in_PA

"Would you or would you not put in a fireplace? "

I would... but only one that burns wood!

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 5:46PM
worthy

In our market, wood fireplaces are rarely built anymore. Last home I did, we had three natural gas units, used frequently.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 7:50PM
marie_ndcal

I prefer a free standing wood stove, that is if wood is avaiable at a reasonable price (free).

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:17PM
kirkhall

What do most of the homes in the neighborhood you are thinking to build in have? If they all have FPs, then you might put one in. If not, then don't if you won't appreciate it.
Or, consider one like this:
www.justfireplaces.com

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:46PM
ppbenn

My inlaws lived in our rental for 10 years starting at age 70 My FIL passed away and MIL stayed there by herself for 5 more years. We installed a decorative zero clearance woodstove with glass doors (Looked like a FP with tile and mantel)and she loved being able to throw a couple logs on to take the chill off and would do this sept to may in Pa. When wood became a chore we bought the boxes of ""logs"" from Sam's and she used that. LOVED the fact that when there was a power outage several times she could heat the place if need be.
She is 85 and moved to senior living and misses the warmth of the FP.
I would never buy a home without a FP.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:07PM
miffy13

If you wont use it and are only worried about resale, we were told they can now be added later. We are not having any because we dont use them. Our builder said if we ever want to sell, the new owner could add one to outside walls pretty easily.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
What is a decent size for a breakfast nook?
I am looking at my house plans and I think the breakfast...
mscajunpie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™