Do you *seal* stainless steel and What is your Favorite Degreaser

chefwongSeptember 20, 2009

Easy Question 1st. What is you favorite degreaser - slightly aggressive. Just not too mild. I have various bottles of Fantastik, Fantastik Heavy Duty, Lyso 4-1 All Purpose Cleaner. I can't seem to find it no more but IMO Easy Off BAM Universal Degreaser - purple bottle/green sprayer head is SUCH a great degreaser. It doesn't have a strong fume, cuts grease well without alot of elbow grease and it not too MILD.

I tried all 4 yesterday while cleaning (ran out of Easy off Bam Degreaser). Ran to the supermarket. They did not carry it. I opted ending up just spot cleaning with Easy Off Oven Cleaner sprayed on a rag.

------

I clean the frige doors/exterior range hood with a wet microfiber, then dry and then follow up with Stainless Steel *cleaner*. SS cleaner is slightly oily but I suppose this good *film* it leaves behind is because SS when clean, is slightly ~absorbent~.

I am curious what cleaning methods do you follow for the underside of your stainless steel exhaust hoods if or the entire Stove.

My filters I throw in the dishwasher.

I do notice a *shine/color* difference when I use a degreaser/followed by water on SS surfaces rather than just wiping it clean with a SS cleaner/polish on the stove and underside of the hood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dazzlemewithcolor

For degreasing, I buy some cheap stuff that I can only find at the Dollar Store. It's called AWESOME. And it really is. I like to use as little as possible of harsh chemicals, but I noticed that my kitchen was starting to get the grimy sticky feeling ever where. Awesome really works, but don't forget to open a window first.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 6:55PM
annie1971

I'm going to check out AWESOME, but for now I use Easy Off Stainless Steel Cleaner. It's a foam sprayer and works great on stainless appliances and and especially on the the hood to degrease. Love it!

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 8:43PM
chefwong

I will probably start another thread BUT do you use degreasers ALOT on stainless. I don't but I was going FANATICAL on my hood that night.

However, this is a big IF however. My hood manufacturer, BROAN, does not recommend anything except warm water. They advise such chemicals can ruin the grain, discolor the finish, etc.

I am sure they are ~erring~ on the safe side of things as some chemicals like Easy Off Oven Cleaner can be real harsh like LYE, etc.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™