ID plumbing setup, please, I'm baffled xpost

lazy_gardensMay 29, 2012

What is this contraption under a vanity sink? The black tube to the right leads up to nothing behind the vanity drawers. Another vanity, installed at the same time by the same plumber, has the same thing.

Can I safely cap that black tube off at the white pipe?

The gray tubing is supply line for hot and cold.

House was built in 1890s with mods over time in a town that had lax to no codes or inspections ... don't think "they'd never put ___ there", because they just might have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This sink probably was not properly vented through the stack so that looks like some kind of rigged compensation for that. But I would think it would allow sewer gas in because there is no trap. It doesn't seem like it's in the right place to work for that, even as a jerry-rig.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The local hardware store identified it ... it's an "Air Admittance Valve", a code-acceptable way to vent a sink when there's no way to run a stack pipe. The valve part is out of sight, up by the sink, above the level of the trao, as it should be.

However, it's usually running vertically, not out of the side like that. shows a properly installed one.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My sisters sink in her 1936 ish Sears house had one of these that was PVC pipe with a thing that looked like the plastic version of the air gap some places require for (Dishwashers?)

    Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sophie Wheeler

That is a health hazard is what that is. It's in no way shape or form any semblance of a real air gap. And there is no trap. No "plumber" ever did that. That's got DIY stamped all over it. It's a health and safety hazard to the home and should be removed and redone correctly IMMEDIATELY!

    Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Check your post in the plumbing forum...that is not an air admittance valve....

    Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 1:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

REPOST from Plumbing forum:

Hey ... not my choice of plumber, and this town isn't big enough to support more than a few of them. Medium-range plans (next year or two) are to replace that vanity, so we'll replace that stuff (the grey PBE pipe) with real copper.

I have a copy of the building permit where it was signed off as OK. :) OK?

The trap is there, just above the top of the picture, and the valve is up and to the right, out of the picture. That drain is resting on packed dirt under the house, with a pipe hanger to the stud next to it.

Apparently the plumber responsible for this is well-known enough locally that when he saw the "idiosyncratic" way the trap was arranged (in a picture I have not posted here), the guy in the hardware store said, "I'd tell you who he is so you can avoid him, but he's dead."

Cheap, but dead.

    Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 2:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™