Is there an easy way to clean AC return grilles?

hammerslammerSeptember 12, 2011

I have two AC return grilles that always look dirty due to the dust that is continuously drawn through them. We live on a dirt road, so that doesn't help either. The only way I can get them as clean as I'd like is to completely remove them and wash them down with a garden hose. Within a couple of days they need a good dusting again. Can anyone recommend a quicker, easier way to clean them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Use the brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner. It looks something like this:

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:54PM
hammerslammer

I've tried the brush attachment. It did help some, but not as much as I'd like. Thanks for the tip, though.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 8:28AM
oakleyok

I live on a dirt road also so I KWYM. The best thing for regular dusting is a microfiber cloth, kind of bunched together so it gets between the slats.

I'm awful, I keep forgetting to clean it until I notice it's partially brown. lol.

Since moisture probably gathers there from the return air due to high humidity, about the only thing to do is wash it with 409. 409 is my friend. :)

If that doesn't work, they can easily be painted. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 7:00AM
kitchendetective

I'm on a crushed limestone road, in an agricultural area that is drought-stricken. The only thing that works for me is taking the grills out and hosing them off. If I just cannot face doing that, I use the brush attachment on this Metro Data-Vac vacuum cleaner:
, my go to emergency catastrophe vacuum. Still, however, the hose is best.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™