Protecting/cleaning fabric of outdoor cushions

jennSeptember 18, 2011

We have some new cushions for the chairs on the front porch. The covers are not removable so I can't toss them in the washer.

Anyone know the best product to use to protect the fabric from dust/dirt that blows around, and to clean the fabric when it gets dusty/dirty?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housefairy

I put on a protectant (303 Aerospace Protectant) that I get at a local boating store. My covers are an off white color that I sprayed last year. They have been out there all summer and also during contruction of the new patio. Little soap and a brush and they look clean. It makes them repel the water and dirt. I also use this stuff on the interior carpets of new vehicles when I purchase them.

I do take them in during the winter months. (Keeps the squirrels from using them as filling for their nests.) Heads up that if you purchase this it does take a lot of this stuff. You need to saturate the material. So much better than Scotchguard.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 11:43AM
housefairy

Jenn I went out in the garage and looked for the bottle. The actual name is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard Water Repellent. It is recommended by Sunbrella. They also make a 303 protectant for vinyl.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 3:06PM
jenn

Thanks, housefairy. I found the product at Amazon; one of the reviews there said it can be found at Ace Hardware. I'll check our local Ace store which seems to carry everything under the sun!

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 10:27PM
westvillager

I wouldn't stray far from housefairy's recommendation - not that you were going to! Most outdoor fabric can handle cleaning with a mild dishwashing liquid/soap and rinsed well before storing, anything near the detergent classification can damage the waterproof coating.

Just thought I'd second her protectant advice. Lol. When I was looking at new outdoor furniture this spring some labels indicated "spot clean only". I was aghast.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 12:36PM
RRM1

Boating stores have it too. I've used a lot of their stuff over the years. Besides 303 fabric stuff, they make some great stuff for rubber and vinyl.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
O-Cedar micro fiber dust mop, use dry or with a light spray of water?
Subject question. With older design I thought a dry...
jerry_nj
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™