Shower enclosure issue where wall meets the floor

achiang0228May 26, 2013

After tearing down the existing walls in my shower enclosure, I found that in the original installation, the contractor put up the wonder board walls first, then poured the concrete floor, so now I have nearly a 3/4" gap between the stud wall and the finished floor. Should I just leave this gap there an bring the new backer board down to the level of the floor (Option A)? Or should I fill in this gap with concrete before hanging the new backer board (Option B)?

There are parts of the floor where the old backer board could not be removed, so I'm not able to push the new backer board down into the space uniformly. The shower pan membrane is under the concrete floor and extends up the wall about 8", so I feel ok if water gets into the space.

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevbocometh

there can be nothing gained by leaving a void anywhere in a wet area, you should mind leaving a gap. its just an opportunity for water to penetrate in between the membrane and cement. BTW did u use cement to pour the floor or did u mean to say mortar? either way, i would fill it and then make sure i was very careful with the caulk and use GE ten year mold free, its awesome...i promise.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 11:16AM
catbuilder

If you're tearing out the walls, then also tear out the floor. That is the major point of failure, and it makes no sense to try and save it. You need to learn how to properly construct a shower, because your drawings show several things that are big-time wrong. For starters, the liner needs to be installed on top of a mortar preslope, not a flat wood subfloor. The shower floor is then made of deck mud, not concrete, and it is also sloped, not flat. The backer board cannot be nailed or screwed through the liner at the bottom; the top layer of deck mud locks in the bottom of the backer board. I urge you to really research how a shower is properly constructed before you go any further.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 12:33PM
catbuilder

Deleting duplicate post.

This post was edited by catbuilder on Mon, May 27, 13 at 12:40

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™