Update on Sears HE Stain-Fighting Formula Laundry Detergent

mara_2008September 13, 2008

Last week I bought some Sears Oxi-Clean Formula laundry detergent (blue lid) on sale at my local independent Sears dealer. I noticed they had all the buckets EXCEPT the Stain-Fighting Formula (orange lid). When I asked the owner about it, he said Sears is changing the formula and will bring the new formula out soon. I hope it will be at least as good as the original.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renee_b

Thanks for the info! I was at Sears also and there wasn't any detergent with the orange lid on the shelves. They still have the orange boxes of the stain fighting formula but it doesn't say HE on the box. Wonder if it's the same thing and low-sudsing? And, I wonder why they're changing the formula? Nothing was wrong with it. I really hate it when you finally find something you like, works real well and they go and change the formula to a new and improved version. Pulling up Sears website, there isn't any of the stain fighting formula in the buckets either. I really hope it's not being discontinued.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mara_2008

I first realized something was amiss when I couldn't find the orange-lid buckets at the Sears website anymore. The old HE Stain-Fighting Formula has been discontinued, according to the owner of the store I mentioned, and another formula is in the works.

buzzley gave this info at the Laundry Forum:

"I haven't been able to find it either. They must be eliminating nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs), which a Consumer's Report article from last year claimed were ingredients in Sears detergents, even though most other detergents stopped using them long ago. Either that or DeSoto finally went under and Sears had to contract with a new manufacturer. I'll bet that they will eventually reformulate all of their detergents or simply drop the ones that aren't big sellers.

This may be good or bad. Guess we will have to wait and see."

Since the orange boxes don't have the HE symbol on them, I'm leery of using that formula. I've heard that manufacturers won't honor an HE washer warranty if HE laundry detergent isn't used.

I bought two of the orange-lid buckets in July when they were on sale half-price, so I shouldn't need any more for at least a year.

Some people are saying they're still finding it at some stores. But I can't find any in my area now. I presume it's at the stores until it sells out.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™