Cleaning Deep Fat Fryer

andrea_san_diegoSeptember 2, 2009

I have a TFAL Deep Fat Fryer that I use to form taco shells that is a bear to clean. The oil gets everywhere and turns into a gummy yellow mass. If I work really hard with an SOS pad it will remove some of the gunk but it's very difficult and I'm afraid of scratching the surface. The fact that I can't submerse the appliance in water compounds the problem. Are there any products that would desolve the grease buildup? The outside looks like stainless steel and the inside is aluminum. I may be able to use oven cleaner on the outside but not on the inside as it would corrode the aluminum. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliciaj113

Cleaning my deep fryer is one of my least favorite chores but i have an easy solution to make this one a little bit easier
Things You'll Need:
 Scraper or spatula
 Clean cloths or paper towels
 Water
 Dishwashing liquid
 Vinegar
 Degreasing solvent or baking soda
Step 1
Unplug the deep fryer and let the oil cool. When the oil has cooled to about 150 degrees F, drain the oil out of the fryer. Remove the basket and wash separately.
Step 2
Scrape the sides of the deep fryer to remove any caked on food or oil. Remove with a paper towel.
Step 3
Fill with water to the oil level and add a little dishwashing liquid. Plug in the deep fryer and allow the soap solution to come to a boil. Allow to boil 5 to 15 minutes. Turn off the deep fryer, unplug it and allow the water solution to cool.
Step 4
Drain the water from the deep fryer and discard. Rinse with a solution of 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water. Rinse a final time with clear water. Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth or paper towels.
Step 5
Clean the outside of the deep fryer by covering it with a degreasing solvent or a paste made from baking soda and water. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse with a wet cloth or paper towel. Dry thoroughly.

I hope this helps!

Alicia

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Home & Garden Tips

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I use essentially the same method. Empty cooled oil out of the fryer. (I store it in the refrigerator for future use). Remove any grease you can with paper towels. Add hot water from the tap and a good squirt of Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Let sit, when water cools to about lukewarm bathwater temperature, dump out the fryer. Hand wash the inside of the fryer. Be careful at all steps. Never immerse the fryer in water. You're done.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
O-Cedar micro fiber dust mop, use dry or with a light spray of water?
Subject question. With older design I thought a dry...
jerry_nj
Sponsored Products
Twin Nevada Duvet Cover 68" x 86" - WHITE (TWIN)
$810.00 | Horchow
Metropolitan Outdoor Chaise Lounge Cushions, Patio Furniture
$561.00 | FRONTGATE
Serena & Lily Linen Bedskirt
Serena & Lily
Kichler Hendrik Brushed Nickel Bath 5-Light
PLFixtures
Safari Zebra Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Pink Olivia Window Panel
$39.99 | zulily
Flow Side Table in Red