thought I got a good buy....

auntevieSeptember 21, 2009

I bought a beautiful mirror at Goodwill and was so excited until I got it home. After I cleaned it, I noticed that it has white, foggy like, marks here and there on it. Some of the marks look kinda like smoke rings. I have no idea what could have caused them. Maybe smoke from a candle?? (Sorry, I wish I could explain it better. I tried to take a picture of them but you cant really see them in a picture.)

I have tried windex, alcohol, and vinegar with a microfiber cloth and even tried the miracle sponge but none of these made any difference. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any suggestions on how to remove them? The mirror only cost 3.99 but I still hate to just toss it since it is the perfect size and has a nice frame.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
k9arlene

If you can't get it clean, keep the frame and just replace the mirror.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 6:51PM
annie1971

Is it possible that you were fortunate enough to have purchased a very old mirror that just isn't going to respond to modern cleaners in the way you would like. I have a very old mirror that belonged to my grandparents. When I clean it, it does tend to look foggy, even though the actual mirror backing is lacking in only a few spots. The general overall effect is somewhat cloudy. I love it because of its family history and it's in our guest room where great mirror expectation isn't extremely important. Maybe you got something special and/or historical. If not, that's easy enough to determine. Replace the mirror and keep the frame as k9 suggested.
Annie1971

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 8:52PM
graywings123

The problem may be with the reflective coating on the back. Try placing a piece of foil behind the areas that are cloudy with the shiny side of the foil facing the front and check to see if that improves the image.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 8:45AM
auntevie

Thanks for the ideas. I did remove the mirror from the frame to check the back but unfortunately that didnt help. Also, I dont think I can replace the mirror because of the shape and size. The marks are strange because you can only see them in certain light but when you do it makes the mirror look dirty. I imagine this is why someone donated it to goodwill. Thanks for your suggestions tho!

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 11:24AM
izzie

You can get a new mirror cut to what ever size you want at a glass shop, not as many around as there used to be. I had a friend who had an old mirror re-silvered at a glass shop once. It was antique, beveled with a cut design in the glass. It seemed to work well. I have no idea how much it costs for something like that however.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™