What's your favorite dusting spray or oil?

bookertSeptember 11, 2008

I found that using Pledge seems to attract dust, so I thought you might be able to help.

Yes, I do use microfiber cloths, but clean for a lady who wants some shine.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

None. I dust with a lambs-wool duster. Sprays and polish are just one more unnecessary expense and another toxin you are breathing and adding to the air. Check the chemical analysis of these items. Many are also harmful to furniture finishes. It sounds like your "shine" may have suffered the effects of the products you've used.

You'll find professional refinishers use wax on fine furniture and give the surface a good buffing with a soft cotton cloth (terry cloth or diaper). The higher the gloss you want, the softer the cloth you need to use.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 4:49PM
sheilajoyce_gw

None here. Slightly dampen my hands and wipe the moistue evenly on my dust cloth.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 5:15PM
lindac

I tell anyone who cleans for me not to use any cleaning sprays on my furniture!
Linda C

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:41PM
patser

No dusting sprays or oils at our house, either. Just a very slightly damp cloth and a dry one to use for the final wipe.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 5:27AM
stir_fryi

I spray Endust on an old cloth diaper to dust. Without spray, I feel like I am just moving the dust around.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 8:30AM
patrushka_ma

I love this website. I just finished having my bathroom done over and the slob of a contractor let construction dust go all over my house. For this time only, I would love to know about a good dust attracter or whether people have had success with an "electromagnetic duster" or if they are just more hype. Thanks all.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 12:39PM
bookert

Just what I needed to hear. I usually use microfiber towels, but my mind has a hard time grasping the fact that I'm not using any "product"! =)
It's sort of a smell thing too I suppose, we think something isn't clean unless we're dizzy from fumes!! Ha! (not funny, I know, but true for alot of us)

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 12:48PM
dilly_dally

I never use sprays or oil. Just a damp cloth or a lambswool duster. The new microfiber cloths are great.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 3:18AM
izzie

Just a word to the wise regarding spray oils. A cousin used the spray orange oil cleaning all the cupboards and a week later was hospitalized, she couldn't breath. After a week they discovered she had breathed in the oil, took months for her to recover. I have also heard of young children dying from getting a hold of baby oil and getting it in their lungs. Please use precaution with spray oils.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 12:24PM
greenbean08_gw

When we bought our new dining room table, the saleslady said just to wipe it with a damp cloth to clean. She said the fastest way to ruin a finish is with cleaners like Pledge. If we "had" to use something, a very small amount of wax (some from Howards).

This was at the Amish Furniture store where we lived (nowhere near Amish country, just the furniture...)

Since then, I've just been using a lightly dampened flannel rag (flannel b/c one of our sheets ripped, so it has a new use) Better safe than sorry, plus it's cheap...

Personally I wonder how it is that products have been sold for ages, but they're going to ruin your stuff, but they're still for sale. Not just dusting, other things too. I've heard it about so many things, I never really know what to believe. It's frustrating. Guess that's why when I have to clean my wood floor in the living room, I use the ol' damp cloth. I don't know what's good, what's bad, so I go with what feels like the safe choice.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 3:00AM
mc_hudd

Bookert~ I use Pledge orange oil spray, it comes in a trigger bottle rather than an aerosol can. It works great.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 12:26AM
patly

I use Pledge too.o
I spray it on the rag, never on the furniture.
Works quite well, and leaves a nice fresh odor.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™