Kenmore Elite Side by Side

octoberdanaApril 23, 2013

Found a fridge that I love: the 29.1 cubic foot Kenmore Elite Side by Side. Love the roominess, the stainless is trimmed in gray, and that you can fit large pizza boxes in the freezer side.
29 cubic feet is more than we need but we are getting a major good deal on it (less than $1,500 for the white or $1,700 for the stainless steel).

My biggest concern is my kitchen configuration. My fridge has to sit up against the wall on the left. The wall extends well past the fridge. The opening for the fridge is 40-41 inches wide and this fridge is 36" I'm afraid I'm not going to have enough room to open the freezer door as wide as I need to. The right side butts up against cabinets/counters but it will stick out far enough to clear them I think.

The salesman said maybe a FD would be better, but I don't see how a FD would have any more clearance than a SBS.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Somewhere in a past GW appliance post by an appliance seller about refrigerator door clearances, I read that side by sides need 1 7/8" clearance for swing and french door 2 1/2".

I have been researching CD door clearances due to a railing on the right side of the refrigerator. My current side by side does fine, can remove drawers et all. In my minds eye, I don't see the same happening for a new FD, so have been reluctant to purchase one.

This is all anecdotal. Maybe an appliance guru will add some sage words. Good luck.

edit: correction

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 22:09

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
How to decide on refrigeration? High versus low end.
We are a family of 4 with growing kids; cook almost...
acaba
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range
How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of...
dzaner
Buy 2 individual wall ovens or one 2 oven wall unit?
Hi - I'm looking for appliances for a house we will...
oaptechgirl
Sponsored Products
Gibson Elite Lanark 16-piece Cream Floral Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
Elite Nonstick 12-inch Electric Skillet
Overstock.com
Decorative Lamp: 1-Light 30 in. Leaf Footed Urn Lamp 684-32810
Home Depot
Elite Single Handle Lever Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Free Standing Classic-Style Brass Towel Holder
TheBathOutlet
Elite Medium Spider Web Teardrop Bean Bag Chair Multicolor - 30-1021-829
$65.00 | Hayneedle
Elite Hardware Eileen Window Hardware - 12 Piece Set - WR05207
$34.00 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Sea Gull Lighting Park Avenue Elite 52 in. Indoor Antique B
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™