Single vs. Double Wall Oven

marcia59April 14, 2013

Depending on a number of factors, I may get a range and a wall oven or may get a cooktop and 2 wall ovens.

Either way, I need at least one electric wall oven. I'd love some help with two questions.

1. If I'm getting 2 wall ovens, am I better off with one double or two singles, assuming the singles will be stacked. My first thought was that I'd prefer 2 singles even though that costs somewhat more than 1 double. My reasoning was that if one breaks, at least I still have a working oven. I was in an appliance store the other day and the salesman said that 1 double is a better idea because

(a) I have to run 2 electric lines for 2 singles, but only need 1 line for a double oven. Is this true and, if so, how much do I care?

(b) 2 single ovens means 2 separate control panels, which negatively affects the heights of the ovens. I see the point.

(c) a long song and dance about the difficulties and expense of replacing just one oven if such a thing is needed and how much easier it will be to replace a double than one single and I might end up replacing both singles anyway. This has the whiff of salesman BS, as what I'd need to replace and how easy it would be really will depend on a number of circumstances and I think it's a wash between the two choices.

So, 2 singles or 1 double?

2. Can I reasonably assume that if I start researching single ovens and then decide I want a double, that most brands will have a double corresponding to each single and that the pros and cons of the single will apply equally to the double? IOW, if I don't yet know if I want a single or a double, is it a waste of my time to start researching ovens or will the research carry over?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

In an ideal world, two separate ovens mounted side by side at the same convenient for you height, properly insulated, and spaced a suitable distance apart.
BUT
Several years ago, a gardenweb.com participant whose name I can't remember now, built just such a dream kitchen using the best advice and equipment available on a dual oven layout and still got shafted by the "high end" equipment maker's lack of "help".

So, a double oven, or a single oven, or a speed oven, or a microwave oven, or a range, in any combination you like. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?
I think they are shipping these now. I have largely...
Juno_barks
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™