Should tile be cut for better layout or not (diagrams included)

jaidogApril 10, 2012

I am using 12" x 24" tile which will be stacked. One of the walls being tiled is 66" long. The left side of this wall is at a corner, the right side continues into the bathroom.

If I go with the first layout shown, the tiles appear more symmetrical, but extra cuts will be required, and I'm not sure how the cut-side of the tile will look since it will either be exposed or meet up with another tile.

If I go with the second layout, the tiles will not look as symmetrical, but only the tiles on the left will need to be cut, and the cut side can be buried in the corner.

Which option is better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis

I am having trouble visualizing where the wall to the right goes- does it end? How does it continue into the bathroom? You can cut both right and left tiles and turn the cut edge toward the center tile. You can get a file and make the edge smooth, but it takes a bit of practice. If you are using a tile saw you should not have any trouble making good cuts.
Renee

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 1:44AM
jaidog

Renee:

The wall to the right continues into the bathroom, the tile ends where the shower ends. My plan is that the edge of the tile at this location will be exposed (no Schluter trim, etc).

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:05AM
jaidog

Renee:

I read somewhere that cut edges should always be "buried" in a corner. Is this incorrect?

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:08AM
dekeoboe

We used 12 x 24 tile in our master shower and stacked it as shown in your first option. The shower is about 4 feet by 5 feet. However, we used Schluter trim on the side that continued into the room.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:35PM
hosenemesis

It depends on the tile and how good the cut and sand is. If you can tell it has been cut, it should be buried.
Renee

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™