Green Bags and Lotus Sanitizer

marie26September 13, 2008

Does anyone know if putting produce into the "green bags" after washing them in the Lotus Sanitizer will still keep the produce from spoiling for several weeks? By green bag, I mean the type that is supposed to keep produce fresher much longer than when not using them.

I've washed produce in the Sanitizer and it doesn't seem to help keep the vegetables fresher that much longer. Is there a special way everything should be stored once cleaned?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arizonarose

I have the green bags, and the instructions say not to wash the produce before you put it in the bags. You wash it as you use it.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 8:46PM
marie26

Thank you arizonarose for responding. Do you like the bags?

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 9:09PM
arizonarose

Hi Marie,

The bags do keep stuff longer but they are expensive. I'm not sure the cost of the bags is offset by the savings in the produce...i don't know how to figure that out. But, our bananas kept quite a bit longer...until we ate them all which usually doesn't happen here.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 1:14PM
dashmo37

Marie,
I wash my veggies that use the Lock-&-Lock containers to store them. My produce lasts much longer than it ever has!
They are available on line or at Target or Walmart.
HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Lock&Lock

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 1:42AM
dilly_dally

I used the Green Bags on recommendation here at the Forum. I did not think it made any difference at all.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 3:37AM
jannie

thaks for an honest opinion, DillyDally. I was curios about the Green Bags, I've seen them at my local store.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:29PM
marie26

I also want to thank ,jannie. I moved here 6 months ago and had purchased a few bags of the green bags before the move but I haven't found them since. I guess it really doesn't matter anyways.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 7:37PM
dashmo37

I have heard that the Green bags are a lot of hype. On the other hand, I have had fresh spinach last 3 weeks in the lock&lock. Mushrooms last and last too.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 11:02AM
arizonarose

I still think they do keep things fresh longer. Not sure if any $ is saved do to the high cost of the bags tho...JMHO

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:30PM
marie26

dashmo37, do you put mushrooms (in the lock & lock) in the fridge? I've been searching for anything to keep mushrooms last.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:34PM
marie26

dashmo37, I forgot to ask but must you use the freshness tray container that comes with the Lock & Lock when storing mushrooms or other vegetables? Will it keep lettuce fresher longer?

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:39PM
dashmo37

I have had great luck with keeping all veggies fresh in these containers. If they are a vegetable that looses moisture over time I just place a damp paper towel in the bottom. With mushrooms I don't wash before storage.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
O-Cedar micro fiber dust mop, use dry or with a light spray of water?
Subject question. With older design I thought a dry...
jerry_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™