help cleaning a brick home

chamakitoSeptember 24, 2009

hi, we recently purchase a house that was built 1920's 3 story 2 family with a exterior brick that i want to clean but I'm concern about the right treat for the brick. the front of the house is really nice condition but the side and the back they just look really ugly and dirty with some green mold, we are in a budget and i read over forums people saying powerwash, sandblast and i don't know what to do, im really good with doing it myself and renting the right equipment any help will be much appreciated as we are first time home owner. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1971

I would definitely give it a good power washing. If you don't want to pay a professional to do it (I would consider doing so however, as they should know how much power to use without damaging or breaking up your brick), you should be able to rent a power washer and get some instruction on how to go about using it. We have our own power washer and use it a couple times a year on our patio and once on the house stucco. A first-time cleaning on an older house might take a more professional approach.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 2:12PM
oilpainter

Please do not use a power washer on old brick. It is porous and not made like todays brick and it may crumble. I would use soap and water and a scrub brush. I do recomend you call in the professiomals to clean it though. You won't save much money if you distroy the brick. It shouldn't cost much just for cleaning and then you can paint it yourself

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 11:38PM
graywings123

Try posting this on the Old House forum. I have cleaned wood siding using a $15 hand pump sprayer to apply the cleaner and a scrub brush on a pole.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old House forum

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 9:14AM
chamakito

thanks for the reply. for obvious reason i think i'm gonna call professionals i don't want mess up the house thanks to all

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™