Any tips for washing windows inside when they don't open well?

harvwaldSeptember 19, 2011

We have very old windows that only open a little. The insides of the storm windows need cleaning badly. I could hire someone to remove and clean them, but we have a LOT of windows on a small house, and it's very expensive. Was hoping to put it off another year. I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean the insides. Was thinking perhaps of trying wipes if I could use some kind of extension to move the wipe around with the window only open a few inches. But I'm wondering if that might smear them and make them worse. There are many creative minds on this forum. Sure could use your ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I know what you are going through. I have some old storm windows that cannot be removed, and I can't access the top sash for cleaning. I have found no way to clean them. I'm going to be removing them next spring.

If your problem is caused by interior windows that don't open well, there are ways to repair them. I have gotten a lot of good advice on the Old House forum. There is a tool called a window zipper that will help cut through layers of dried paint.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harvwald

Thanks, graywings. I probably need to have these repaired. 22 windows on a one-story bungalow. I don't look forward to that!

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™