What is horrible smell from new sink overflow hole?

home12April 16, 2014

I moved into a house a month ago with a remodeled bathroom and from day one there has been a toxic, glue-like smell from the sink. It appears to be coming from the overflow hole. We had the plastic drain pipes replaced with metal ones but the smell is still bad, even after we've poured water, baking soda and vinegar down the hole. Would really appreciate any advice on what it is and whether we can get rid of it. Or do we need to buy a new sink top?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil

Does the stink also come from the bottom drain hole? The reason i ask is that the two drains should be tied together just a centimeter below the bottom drain surface.

But not if it's the wrong drain tube (called a tailpiece). Some have holes so the overflow spillway dribbles into the main drain, but some do not.

Not a huge smoking gun thingie, but a possibility; odds are about the same as pigs flying, actually...

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:18PM
cold_weather_is_evil

OOH! Another wild guess: You say the stink comes from the overflow. Is it possibly coming from glue right near the hole? Like the basin was glued onto the counter top with something wrong?

A third one: Taking gaseous bloating into account, how big of a mouse is stuck in the overflow? And with that idea, have you used an unbent wire coat hanger or a piece of heavy copper wire to see if there's anything in that drain way that ain't porcelain?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:24PM
Trebruchet

home12:

This is nothing to play around with. I'm betting it's improper plumbing/venting and you're smelling toxic sewer gas which can kill you. Call a plumber immediately.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 9:28AM
home12

Thanks so much for responses. The smell is definitely like Crazy Glue and my landlady said they used very little silicone at the corners to attach the sink top to the wood base over a month ago. Plumber was here yesterday and confirmed it was coming from that hole. Maybe it's coming out the drain too. Have never seen a mouse around here so thanks for that suggestion but I don't think that's it. It's a real concern because it's my only bathroom. I feel like if we replace the sinktop, the wood base should go too since it's been soaking up that awful smell. Wouldn't want to store things in it. Really grateful for any more advice. Thank you!!!

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:23PM
Trebruchet

home 12:

You need a different plumber. It's not the silicone.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 8:44PM
suzanne_sl

You mentioned a landlady. Did she bring in a real plumber or some guy who's kind of handy? I'm with Trebruchet, insist on an actual plumber. There should be no major mystery here that a competent plumber can't diagnose in nothing flat.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 2:53PM
home12

Interesting. We were just talking about how it wasn't her usual plumber but a fill-in guy. We'll get her regular one over here. Thanks so much for responding.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
New build master bath layout help please
I’m a little stuck, and looking for ideas. In the...
am_e
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina White Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Garden Party Table
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Lime Eclipse 10'' Pancake Fry Pan
$24.99 | zulily
Virtu USA Bathroom Huntshire 36 in. Single Basin Vanity in Dark Walnut with
Home Depot
Lithonia Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Ceiling-Mount Outdoor White LED Decorative L
Home Depot
Authentic Models Furniture Navy Honey Office Stool
$485.00 | LuxeDecor
1 Door Vanity Cabinet with Self Rimming Sink
TheBathOutlet
Currey & Company Marseille Wall Sconce
$440.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™