How To Make an Old and Miserable Porcelain Sink Look Passable?

xantippeSeptember 2, 2006

Hello, all you cleaning experts! IÂve been lurking, really enjoying all your super tips, but now I am in desperate need of some help. I live in a 1920Âs house that came with what seemed to be a lovely original porcelain sink in the bathroom. On closer inspection, that same sink turned out to have a LOT of problems. We are about to have a ton of out-of-town guests, so I was wondering if you had any cheap, quick fixes for:

-- ancient paint stains

-- weird brownish stains in the bowl that do not seem to be mildew

-- shoe scuff marks on the pedestal

-- chips in the finish (probably not there's no hope on this one, but I thought IÂd ask anyway!)

I've tried a magic eraser, to no avail. Eventually, we hope to get the sink refinished, but for now, we just need simple fixes. Thanks so much for all your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Scrape the paint off with a razor blade, get some Zud or another rust remover and try that on the stains.....surely you have already tried straight Clorox? And I would scrub the scuff marks with Barkeepers Friend....seeing as you will eventually refinish the sink.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 5:37PM
centralcacyclist

Place a large vase of fresh flowers close by! ;-)

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 8:02PM
xantippe

Thanks so much, you guys! This is our first house, and we are getting married in two weeks and, not surprisingly, this means that we having a ton of out-of-town company. Thus, the desperate urge to pretty up the sink. Lindac, believe it or not, I haven't tried straight Clorox but I sure am going to now! And then the razors and whatever else is necessary. I have to win this battle :)

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 9:48PM
quiltglo

Your sink has probably been damaged from years of people using stuff like comet/ajax. I always found that bleach helped for quick pick-me-ups and the brownish stain may be rust. After the company leaves, check into have the sink redone. The surface can be restored. It sounds like a great sink!

Gloria

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 2:01PM
jannie

My mom's white porcelain sink is over 40 years old. She lays paper towels in it pours on full-strength chlorine bleach and lets it sit all night.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 8:24AM
asthma

I live in a house that has been in my husband's family for 100 years and it has a white porcelain sink in the kitchen with chipmarks showing the black underside of it. You can try to go to a appliance place or possibly a hardware place and buy a bottle of touch up paint for it. I have a little bottle of white paint called Appliance Brush Touch-Up (6 fl. oz.) that did not cost alot, lasts a long time and works great! I just redid my sink (which I do about once amonth) and my husband told it looked like a new one. Alot cheaper than replacing it!

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 5:02PM
rockyn

For some reason, spraying with Clorox Cleanup works better than bleach or Comet.

My sink is about 30 years old. Is it worthwhile to resurface it?

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 3:05PM
xantippe

Well, I did find something that took the stains off. I didn't have any bleach on hand, so I tried mildew remover (Tilex brand) and it took the stains right off. It smells like bleach, so I think I got the effect of bleach without having to buy a new product. As for the chips, I will report back when I have found some chip filler.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™