Top tile/Bottom tile size

jaidogApril 15, 2012

I'm planning to use 12" x 24" stacked tiles in my shower. Due to the location of niches and horizontal metal profiles, it would be ideal if the highest tile of my shower is 10 1/2" tall rather than 12". This would leave the bottom tile about 9" tall. Will this look okay or should I strive to get the top tile to be a full 12"? Or, should I try to get both top and bottom tiles to be the same height?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treasuretheday

As much as possible, I think it looks best to either have full rows or at least have the cut rows be even in size. It sounds like if your top row of tile is a full 12", you'd be left with a 7 1/2" row at the bottom. I'd try to avoid that because the visual weight of the larger rows of tile would accentuate the difference in size. If you're committed on the locations of niches and metal profiles already, my preference would be to go with even size rows of 9 3/4" at the very top and bottom. My second choice would be to put a 7 1/2" row at the top and have the rest of the rows be full 12" tiles.

We laid out several options on our floor before finalizing our tile pattern. By adjusting the location of our accent row, we were able to to go with full 12" rows below and one 10 1/2" row above.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaidog

treasuretheday:

Thanks for the advice. You've got a nice-looking shower. And, from the photo, I can't even tell that your top row is a different size than the others. Maybe because the accent tiles separate the top row from the rest.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey Jonathan Adler Claridge Genie Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
BDI | Sequel® Peninsula
YLiving.com
Glass Room Pendant
Lightology
Elden Rug 3'9" x 5'9" - WHITE
$299.00 | Horchow
CAL Lighting Metal Lamp: 27 in. Capraia Resin Lamp BO-2137TB
Home Depot
Rosalia French Gold Forty-Five Light 54-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Cry
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™