48" kitchenaid fridge?

tammywApril 26, 2014

We've never had a built-in, so this will be our first. At a showroom, we liked both the kitchenaid and sub-zero stainless steel side-by-side. Based on price, the kitchenaid seems like a much better deal.

Is it a great fridge?

Any huge reasons to consider the sub-zero instead?

And what is the best way to buy the kitchenaid for a good price? It seems they discount where the sub-zero does not.

Is it worth getting an extended warranty on these built-ins? It seems like it would.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammyw

Also, am wondering if I should just buy locally vs trying to buy from an online store. Are there any truly reputable online stores?

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:04PM
cat_mom

I was just talking about this tonight. We have a KA 42" built-in (new model in 2007). We like the layout, and love the ice-dispenser in the door. The price was much better than that of the SZ. However, I don't think produce lasts as long as it should in our KA, especially lemons, limes, apples. And some cheeses don't last as long as they could or should before they start to mold.

I've heard/read that SZ's do very well at keeping produce fresher longer, but I've not had any first-hand experience with them to know if this is true or not.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 1:07AM
wekick

I have had the KA for 6 years and it is the only appliance that has behaved itself. I liked the layout much better than any other when I bought it. The fit and finish isn't perfect but it keeps on going.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:08AM
lisacdm

We have a Kitchenaid 48 In. Width : Side-By-Side Dispensing Built-In (KSSP48QMS) purchased in 2005. We have not had any problems with it (knock on wood) and have not noticed any premature aging of produce. Based on this experience I would definitely purchase again. Although I don't know how the newer models perform.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 12:21PM
tammyw

How is this for ironic? The original house we planned to buy (where we would have had to remodel) we fell out of escrow. Now we are buying a brand new house that has the 48" Kitchenaid fridge!!!

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™