How to clean garage floor?

samanddrewAugust 20, 2010

What's the best way to clean a filthy garage floor? With a mop? Or should we pressure wash it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I'm not a big fan of power washers, but that would be easier. A mop isn't going to give you enough friction to remove the dirt - a long handled brush would be better if you go that route.

Whichever you choose, you can reduce the work by thoroughly sweeping first. Get as much of the grime out of there dry, before you start using water and detergent.

If you haven't used a power washer before, be careful. There is a learning curve to using them and you can damage even concrete with water pressure.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 8:09AM
krissie55

Wet the area and use an over-the-counter degreaser, such as ORANGE CITRUS concentrate. Allow the degreaser to sit on the spot for a few hours. Scrub with a scrub brush and rinse.

Check in auto supply areas of stores such as Wal-Mart, they also have degreasers.

An electric floor scrub machine using brushes with scrubbing pads works well after degreaser has been left on the floor for a couple hours. Rinse garage using a garden hose.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 3:22PM
jimsonburg

Kitty litter will soak up liquids nicely but it won't clean a dirty floor. Just spread it on the oil and mush it around until it's saturated, then scoop it off with a dust pan. Then put more on and scrub it hard using a block of wood, perhaps an 8" section of 2x4. Then sweep it up.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™