Vacuum Suggestions for Tile and Wood Floors

jme_21August 25, 2011

We've remodeled and will soon move to a different house on our farm. Between farming and small children our floors dirty fast. I will have about 1,500sf of tile/wood floors. I've almost settled on a Haan steam vac for more thorough cleanings, but I am still looking for a daily cleaning vacuum.

I would love to know about any hard surface vacuums that you love or any cleaning ideas that might be helpful.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haname

A canister type vacuum is best if the majority of your floors are hard. There are so many out there! Decide on a price range, and what you want in a vac (HEPA filtration or not for example), then read as much as you can on the different models.

One suggestion I do have, is consider getting a professional type wet/dry mop. I recently got one and love it. It has 1 microfiber duster and 4 microfiber cleaning pads. They attach to the base with velcro. It's really easy to go over my tile and hardwood flooring when I want to clean it but don't want to lug out the vacuum or steam cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 9:42PM
Panda143

have you both had good success with steam cleaner on the hardwood floors? I purchased a shark steam mop but haven't yet tried it on my hardwood floors.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 12:32PM
timberframe4us

I *completely* agree with the canister over upright on any non-carpeted floor. My upright just threw dirt behind it on linoleum. That said, in my new house with all hard floors (wood, tile, concrete), I *love* my central vac. I know that is not likely to be an option in an existing house, but retrofitting is a possibility depending on your situation. If it's in your budget, research that for sure! It is not terribly advanced in the DIY area either (but neither is it "beginner").

I have a question about the steam cleaners that are made for wood. Do they work well? They seem like they would potentially damage the wood. I'm not getting that whole idea...just curious.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 3:54PM
jme_21

Thanks for all the input.

As far as steam cleaning hardwood goes, I'm a little nervous as well. I should have clarified that the steam cleaner is for the tile. I would like a regular vacuum that works well on the tile and wood. I agree with the idea that wood might be damaged with steam. I have a friend who steam cleans her wood weekly. The house is only 9 months old. Curious to see if there is damage over time.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 3:27PM
haname

I have a vapor cleaner that works well on the hardwood. The key is (relatively) dry vapor, not wet steam. You don't want to apply a lot of moisture to the wood. With my steamer you attach the cloth to the steamer head in such a way that most of the steam escapes so that you clean the floor with a hot, barely damp cloth.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 5:36PM
lizbeth-gardener

This question comes up on a regular basis, so if you do a search on the cleaning forum, you should find lots of opinions. Also think it was just in the home decorating forum.

I have much the same situation you have and after much research, bought a Meile vacuum. They are not inexpensive, but are well worth the money. People seem to keep these for years and the guarantee is very long. I have had a Kirby, Hoover Wind Tunnel and an Electrolux and they don't compare. If you are interested, there is plenty of info. about them online.

For the times I don't need a vacuum, I use the Bona system. It was recommended by our flooring company and I am pleased with the way it works. It is a mop handle with different attachments for when you want to just dust mop or one for cleaning. They have a spray that you use with it. I don't use steam or water on my floors. HTH

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Supreme Zebra Skin Black and
Home Depot
Black Parallels on White Giclee Shade Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Lifestyle Shag Chocolate Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$379.00 | Bellacor
Aubusson Night Rug 3' 6" Round - BLACK
$189.00 | Horchow
Aramis Mosaic Boxes - Set of 3 - 96114-3
$127.99 | Hayneedle
Lacquer Cylinder 28-inch Floor Vase and Branches
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$65.00 | Home Depot
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Paisley Red/ Multi Rug (5' 3' Round)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™