How to clean etched slate floor in bathroom?

donnaroeAugust 3, 2014

We have a slate floor in our half bathroom downstairs. When our boys were little, the kept missing the toilet and spraying the slate floor with urine occasionally. I didn't know it was happening at the time, so the slate is permanently damaged. I have tried numerous times to take lemon oil and let it sit on the etched spots on the floor. It seems to work- I wipe off the excess and shine up the floor-only to see that the spots are still there. I hope I have described the problem so that you can understand what I am dealing with. Does anyone know what else I can try?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

It doesn't appear that anyone here has an answer for you. Would it be possible to replace those tiles?

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 12:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandmamaloy

I think that I would try a steam cleaner of some kind. Slate is kind of porous and a steam cleaner that both lays down steam and then sucks it back up seems like that might work. It may take numerous times doing it but that would be my next option. You might also be able to do that with boiling water and a shop vac, if you don't have or don't want to buy a steam cleaner. I hope this works.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™