fungus or mildew or mold on vinyl siding

TJG911August 3, 2009

the north side of my house has an ell and the siding in that section is dark greenish from mold or mildew or fungus. it's been like this for 2 years. the vinyl was installed in 1999.

can i wash the vinyl siding with a solution of 1 part white vinegar 3 parts water to clean it? i suspect a product called TSP would work (?) but vinegar is very inexpensive.

is there a simple household product that works other than vinegar?

i have grass growing up to the foundation so whatever i use i do not want it to harm the grass or change the color of the siding (it's light grey).

thanks,

tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Vinegar won't do it, instead use a mixture of water, bleach and some clothes washing detergent sprayed on with a hand pump sprayer (about $12), leave it on for a few minutes, then scrub with a brush on a long pole, and rinse well with water.

I would mix 3 quarts warm to hot water, 1 quart bleach, and maybe 1/3 cup Tide or whatever clothing detergent you use. You can cover the grass with plastic if you want, but I don't and have never had a problem.

This solution won't change the color of the siding, but if the mold is as bad as it sounds, you may already have some permanent discoloration. You will need a ladder because the hand sprayer doesn't shoot the solution very far.

Adding 2/3 cup of TSP to the above solution would also help. This solution is still a lot cheaper than the ready made stuff you buy in a hardware store.

At a minimum, water and bleach will work.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 7:27PM
TJG911

thanks. i was afraid to use bleach cuz i thought it would change the color of the siding and kill the grass. i'll try a small spot and see how it works.

tom

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 10:42PM
TerNer

Try a broom, Tide laundry soap (maybe Tide with color safe bleach) and a hose. I use it to clean the driveway and it works well and is cost effective.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 7:03PM
bulldinkie

couldntyou use power washer?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 7:06AM
cearbhaill

Using a power washer on siding is dicey- it is much too easy for an inexperienced operator to get water under the siding.

I have a vinyl siding home and every spring we wash the house with a brush and a bucket of water, dish soap, and a tad bit of bleach. We wash the north side more often, usually again in the fall before the holidays. We just did it this past week.
Do it more often and it is much easier to keep nice looking.

Any of the big box stores sell products made for this application that include an algicide- they would work great as well.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 7:23AM
emma

Do not use a power washing. It can drive water under the siding and cause a major mold problem. Call the siding company for help.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:50PM
klseiverd

I used one of those pump sprayers with bleach (maybe 50/50 with water). Have an area over a window that I just couldn't reach... still kinda nasty.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
Sponsored Products
Alvin Professional Translucent Cutting Mats - TM2218
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Marine Glass Collection Dining Table Deep Sea Blue
Italy Design
Splendorest Slumber Fresh Queen-size Bed Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Parker House - Grisham Dual Power Recliner Sofa - 832P-HE
Great Furniture Deal
Outdoor Parkdale Rug in Sunbrella Topside Green with Off-White Border - 5' x 8'
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Logico Mini Triple Nested Semi-Flushmount by Artemide
$1,720.00 | Lumens
Westinghouse Sofia 21 in. Ceiling Medallion 7775700
$44.67 | Home Depot
Eiffel Slope Chair in Red
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for: