remove spots off table

nyrgirl35August 1, 2011

How can I removed marks on my coffee table (when people put their feet up without sock or shoes). It looks like a white film left on wood from were the back of their heel was resting. It doesnt come off with regular furniture wood polish...thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SharperClean

Refinish the whole top of the table to fix it and always try putting an old pillow under our feet when we rest them on the table.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 6:11AM
haname

It's possible that the oils from the feet have eaten through the finish, but it may just be a reaction with the cleaners/oils that have been applied. First try cleaning off all the old polish and applying a good paste wax. If that doesn't help, you may well have to do a refinish job. Regular spray polish doesn't protect the wood finish as well as a good paste wax.

An option after you fix the spots is to have a glass top made for the table if it is a valuable piece and you can't get people to stop putting their feet up on the table. You could also consider replacing the coffee table with an ottoman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax/Polish/Oil Article

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 2:11PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

What I have found that works for white rings left on wood surfaces from people not using a coaster, is spraying a bit of WD-40 on a rag and rubbing the area. I've done it on a oak wood veneer table and just fixed a spot on the oak TV stand. I didn't have any WD-40 handy, but used Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant and it worked just fine too.

You might try using one of those on an inconspicuous spot before trying them on the top. If you try it, please let me know how it works for you.

Sue

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
cleaning brass & copper
Hello everyone I somehow inherited a box of old old...
laalasa
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™