Bleach and my French press

famouseccentricAugust 23, 2012

My boyfriend, trying to be nice, decided to clean out my moldy French press today. He got the grounds out, rinsed everything down the sink, then poured a healthy glug of bleach into the glass beaker. He topped it off with hot water, immersed the plunger, and let it sit for about 5 minutes before I sniffed the air and said, "Hey, that doesn't smell like vinegar!"

As I said, the beaker is glass. The plunger is stainless steel (uncorroded after the incident, thank goodness), and there are a couple small plastic parts that were immersed in the bleach (they would also be immersed in coffee). Is my French press safe to use, or does Boyfriend owe me a new one??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Safe......but I would air it out well to get rid of any bleach smell.

    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_c_gw

Ewww - why do you let your French press get moldy?? Gross.

If it was truly moldy, as opposed to just being unwashed and nasty, I'd prefer bleach to vinegar.

Rinse well and use. Glass and stainless won't "absorb" bleach.

Really, though, - just wash the thing after use!

    Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™