Small mosaic tiles in shower -- is all that grout a pain?

kaysdApril 10, 2012

Our new walk-in shower is going into an existing niche that currently holds a tub/shower combo. The niche is about 59" wide and 41-42" deep. (The rest of the bathroom is 6' wide.) It will be a steam shower, so glass wall and door will go all the way up and the ceiling will be tiled.

I am going for a modern look. I originally wanted to use large format porcelain or glass tiles, both for the look, and to minimize grout that needs to be cleaned. However, the 41-42" side walls make the use of large format tiles difficult (I have yet to find 21" tiles) because of the cut edges. The other look I really like is small random brick or "stick" mosaics. (i.e., 1"x3", 2"x6" or similar size.) The smaller tiles would be easier to fit nicely on the small walls, but I worry it will be a nightmare to keep all those grout lines clean.

If anyone has used small tiles on your shower walls, I would love to hear about your experiences with maintenance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I told my tile guy I wanted to be able to use chemicals in the shower so I used ceramic tile (instead of natural stone) and he used epoxy grout. It's been a dream to keep clean so far. I get that pinkish mold...spray it with some clorox and water, let it sit for a couple minutes and rinse..good as new.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:32AM
kaysd

Thanks, Olychick. We definitely won't use natural stone because we don't want porous material in a steam shower. We will use either glass or through-body porcelain. I wonder if we can use epoxy grout and bleach on glass tile.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 1:22PM
dekeoboe

Why do you need 21" tile? You can just have the 24" tile cut down to the proper size. And, they will probably end up being cut smaller than 21" because you have to account for the thinset, overlap, wavy walls, etc.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™