cleaning old stained china

maimieAugust 19, 2012

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have a very old set of china trimed w/22k gold. The center of each piece has a small pastoral scene & then is white to the border. Thru the years some of the pieces, in the white area, have dark discoloration--not sure if it's mold or what. Does anyone know how to clean this so the center white area looks as lovely as the rest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Check the china in a very good light and see if there are any hairline cracks in the glaze. Look hard, maybe with a magnifying glass, crazing cracks are difficult to see with the naked eye.

If there are any cracks, tiny or larger, liquid can get under the glaze and cause it to discolor.

DO NOT eat out of dishes if they are cracked/crazed. Germs collect in the cracks.

Beautiful dishes past their prime for eating out of make great decorating items.

My daughter has her grandmother's small size platter she always served southern fried chicken on displayed in her kitchen top of a cabinet with other items. The platter was used to heat food in the oven (not oven proof) and had crazed all over with several dark spots where liquid, etc. seeped under the glaze. It is beautiful decor and a reminder of yesteryear cooks.

Remember, in yesteryear days cooks used crazed dishes and thought nothing about it. They also kept food in a warming oven above the wood stove. No, they did not get sick from the germs because their bodies had adjusted to germs over the years. People of today do not have that built up immunity.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:58PM
marilyn_c

I have some old Ironstone that has dark spots on it. I have heard that peroxide...the strong kind like you buy in beauty supply places...like Sally's...will clean it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 1:06PM
maimie

Thank you both for your comments. I had looked forward to using this china for a Xmas dinner w/my family since my adult kids remember this from childhood. I am moving w/10 days so will take the time to look harder at this china when I move & get settled. Thank you again.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™