How do you clean the sole plate of your iron?

AnnieILAugust 27, 2004

I guess I am asking, what do you use to clean the bottom of the iron, where fabric burned on to it?

I don't want to scratch the surface. Is there a liquid solvent I might try?

Thanks for any suggestions. Annieil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HappuCooker

there is a paste that they sell expressly for cleaning the sole plate. follow the instructions exactly and it will be good as new and shiney.

Bookmark   August 27, 2004 at 10:56PM
lazy_gardens

I heat the iron to cotton-level heat and press a wet towel to get most of it off, then use

If it's not a teflon-coated iron, use 0000 steel wool or one of those green scrubber 3M pads to get the rest of the goop.

Bookmark   August 28, 2004 at 8:17AM
mustangs81

Annie, Here is the product that I have used for many years. You can find it at Walmart in the cleaning products department. It is in a small tube and usually hanging from an end cap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner

Bookmark   August 28, 2004 at 8:54PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Pick off what you can. My mother always sprinkled table salt on a double piece of waxed paper, heated the iron, and "sanded" it off. The wax melted onto the iron and helped smooth it too.

Bookmark   September 25, 2004 at 10:20PM
mustangs81

So Annie, how did your iron turn out?

Bookmark   November 29, 2004 at 1:52PM
woodie2

I had the same iron problem a while ago and at the time I found this good website. I cleaned my iron with vinegar and salt and it worked fine. (Although you will be picking salt out of the steam holes with a toothpick afterwards, lol.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tipking Website

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 4:25PM
Janice

I keep a wad of 0000 (4-0) steel wool on hand--does a great job, and never scratches!

Janice

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 11:50AM
sherry3

Second the Faultless iron cleaner and they carry it at places like Linens & Thing.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 4:10PM
wannadanc

Reading this brings back a lot of memories - but what really knocks me over is that folks still USE an iron!!!!!

unwrinkled grins from Vicki

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 2:14PM
joyously

I used the wet towel method, but most of the stuff did not come off the sole plate. So I sprayed water directly on the sole plate, and rubbed it off with the wet rag and the stuff wiped off. Now be careful so you don't burn your self, but it worked great!!

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 2:27AM
DLM2000

Wow - this is an old one resurrected!

But I had the same problem and use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - worked like a charm. Before I tried it I bought a new iron but still have the box and receipt so it's going back!

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 4:33PM
susanmwalker1_gmail_com

My iron plate was entirely brown from a project that used iron on tape. I was ready to buy a new one for the few occasions when I needed it - I tried the salt and wax paper trick but that didn't make a dent in the goo on the plate. I reached under the sink and found a little plastic bottle of "Krud Kutter" and Wow, the stuff pretty much dissolved and with the use of a 3M green scrubber the iron plate looks like new! I ironed some wax paper to make sure it would glide on fabric and now I'm ready to press the wrinkles out of new drapes.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 10:38AM
craftypat1_gmail_com

Thanks for the tips. My Rowenta steam generator iron constantly gets cruddy. The iron cleaner does not do the trick. Will try some of these tips and see how it works. Can't find a Rowenta site to find out - guess they just want to sell irons, not clean them. Since I sew a lot, my iron is essential!

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 1:40PM
darbip_gmail_com

I also have a Rowenta...the holes continued to get clogged, so we switched to purified water (cheap water in a gallon jug) and used it to fill the water instead of tap water...never had the build up again. Now, going to try the magic eraser on the burned crud on the bottom...The Goo-Goo gone didn't help.

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 7:08PM
irene_colin289_hotmail_com

I just tried cleaning my iron. It is now like new again. I used 'The Magic Eraser'. In Australia 'The Magic Eraser' is made by chux. They make cleaning cloths etc.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 6:10AM
JAKostick_Live_com

I accidently touched the tip of my iron to a roll of stich witchery that was laying on my ironing board while I was fixing the hem in a pair of pants. The iron picked up the end of the roll and fused a 6 inch strip to the sole plate! I got most of it off by "ironing" it on to my damp pressing cloth. Before I tried anything else, I googled and found this thread. I wouldn't have thought to use the Magic Eraser, but it worked great on the remaining goo. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 3:40PM
krissie55

I use "real beeswax" my mother gave me about 56 years ago (1955). In growing up years we always had hives of bees. The one piece of beeswax has lasted all this time and in the past ironing was for a large family.

Beeswax works like a charm, just rub on sole plate of hot iron and rub iron back & forth over a folded terry cloth rag (old washrag or piece of towel). Repeat if necessary. Be sure and rub over a clean piece of terry cloth to remove residue from beeswax.

Save the used terry cloth rags to keep the iron in "slip & slide" condition!

True, this is an old post, but, many may still find the information to be of help.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:39PM
raynag

Used dryer sheets. don't know why, but they work. I own a Panasonic iron with a titanium sole plate and nothing, but nothing sticks to it.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:28AM
wigcon_earthlink_net

I was a doubter and fully prepared to buy a new iron, and like most of you since I seldom iron it seemed like a waste of money. But I followed the advice of the Mr. Clean Eraser person and lo and behold, like magic. I do use that particular product for other things but thought this "burnt on" stuff wouldn't give, but it did so I will iron the table cloth and a few napkins and then put it away for another year or two. Thank you very much for all your help.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 7:03PM
jmtndl_gmail_com

Just read about it and just used it! Went to Sally's and bought a small tub of cheap strong hair relaxer. Rubbed it on my iron while it was hot with an old washrag. All the old gunk came off! You don't know how releived I am!I iron with scented water and had a devil of a time getting the gunk off! I had just started buying new irons. The hair relaxer worked like a charm!

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 12:18PM
r_g_butcher_gmail_com

My Mother In Law always kept the water from the dehumidifier to use in the iron. I've used the same method and the purified water never stopes the holes in steam irons.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 11:13PM
bkk42_aol_com

Magic Eraser did the trick - thank you!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 1:38PM
mamcgi_hotmail_com

THANK YOU for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser tip!! It works GREAT even better than the Faultless Iron Cleaner cream which I couldn't find in the stores in my locale. Cleaning the burn stains from my iron has been a big problem. I'm so happy to have this solution!

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 9:44PM
ljenn_utma_com

I didn't feel like going out to the store for the above-mentioned Magic Eraser, so I tried putting some of that Tide stain remover on the iron--the Tide in the small tube you can carry in your purse. I then ironed it on a nubby towel, and no gunk came off. So then I tried the salt and waxed paper method, and still no gunk came off. Then I allowed the iron to cool down and just flicked off the gunk with a single-edged razor! I don't know which one did the trick, but my iron is clean. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 4:28PM
SharperClean

Remember to wait until the iron is cool before you begin the cleaning process. You can get rid of any build-up in the vents of the iron by taking a cotton swab or a pipe cleaner and gently sweeping the residue out of the area. If you attempt to use something of a harsher nature, like a tool or a knife, you could scratch the base of the iron, causing future problems. One of the best ways to learn how to clean an iron is to prevent build-up problems in the first place. Read your manufacturer's instruction manual carefully.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 2:03AM
Penny6

My daughter recently brought me her iron as she melted carpet fibers on the sole plate. I used glass range top cleaner and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It worked great with minimal effort and did not scratch the plate.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 11:36AM
Jazzandme

Thank you! I had some 0000 steel wool in my garage. Tested a spot on the sole plate. No scratches! It worked great! I should have remembered that! My mind is not so great these days!

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™