Cleaning kitchen floor grout lines

mike_homeAugust 16, 2008

I have 12 inch tiles in my kitchen. The grout lines are 1/4 inch wide in a medium gray. After several years, the grout has become a dark gray from embedded dirt. I tried scrubbing some lines with a scrub bruch with Tide and water. It looks better, but this is very labor intensive considering I have about 600 square feet of tile area.

Is there a floor machine I can use for this purpose? It is going to require some type of scrubber. What about a steam type machine? Anyone have success with these? Also if I were to do it by hand, can someone suggest a good cleaning solution or product for this type of cleaning?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Also if I were to do it by hand, can someone suggest a good cleaning solution or product for this type of cleaning?

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - or one of the knockoffs.

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 8:45PM
tournant

I second the Mr. Clean Magic Erasor. I have the same sized tile and grout on my kitchen floor except my grout USED to be white. I CRIED when I saw how easily the erasor brought it back to new looking.

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 12:16AM
sheilaaus122

I find Mr Clean eraser to work great on most things but have not found it to work so well on white grout which I hae in my bathrooms.
In my kitchen, I had medium gray grout which I let become dark gray (I didn't fight it) and I think that is one of my best decisions I have ever made with the house!
"Ok so now I am going to have at it again at the supposed to be white grout in the bathrooms.>

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 11:23AM
shermp

Men and boys in the house -- need suggestions (products) to clean white grout near/around the toilets.

Never again white grout in the bathrooms but for now it is what it is ....

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 7:19AM
jannie

When I had my bathroom remodeled, they put in 12 inch blue floor tiles and put gray coloring in the grout. It looks okay and doesn't require a lot of cleaning. Once a week I go over it with my Swiffer Wet Jet.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 8:24AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I think the grout gets quite dirty from when I wash the floor and the little bit of damp on the tiles will drain down to the grout, dry there, and build up a dark line. I learned to wipe down my tile floor with an old towel to prevent this from happening and that took care of my problem with the grout.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™