3/16" vent in cabinet required for induction cooktop

cyranosesApril 1, 2013

Both KA and Bosch install manuals for induction cookstops say there needs to be a 3/16" vent in the cabinet right in front of and running the length of the cooktop. Picture sucks in the manual. Has anybody done this for their install? If so, how to do this on existing cabinet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

Are your sure it is not either the back or sides?

I just glanced at the installation manual for the 36" 800 series Bosch and it has no such requirement. At least I didn't see it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:35PM
Caliente63

I don't see any such requirement in the Bosch 500 series or 800 series cooktop installation instructions. What model of Bosch cooktop are you referring to?

I would avoid the KA cooktop, for a variety of reasons.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:04PM
ginny20

I have a KA. Don't buy one if repetitive noises bother you. It is noisy. Love it otherwise.

I saw that in the manual, too, and I copied it and gave it to my custom cab guy so he could put an indentation in the top of the cab, as shown. But then my granite guy said he couldn't install the granite that way - surface has to be level - so he filled in the gap with epoxy and installed the granite. The cab guy said that because of the little rubber bumper spacers on the drawers, they don't close flush anyway, so there is a little open space at the top of the drawer. I decided that was close enough.

In practice, the drawer right under the KA cooktop does get warm inside if I cook something for a very long time. Just warm, though, certainly not warm enough to melt anything. Sometimes I open it an inch or two if it's getting warm.

I'd forgotten about that 3/16" slit thing. Yet another reason to avoid KA induction.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:45PM
weedmeister

Just read the KA installation guide. I see what you are talking about. This is the first I've seen requiring a slit in the front. Gagg asks for one in the back. I think the solution to the countertop problem is to make the slits something like 5" long with a 1" separation between the slits. This gives support to the countertop.

If a custom-made cabinet, have the maker stain/seal the wood. If not custom, use some dark paint (black/brown/grey) to seal it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Dishwasher drawer...who has one?
Do you like it? Any info appreciated.
jtaime2
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
Custom Panel on a Jenn air french door counter depth fridge?
Hello, want to know if it's possible to have custom...
kaysee
Annoying
Stopped in the appliance store that our builder likes...
Mini Soda
1200cfm oversized hood...Overkill for 30" BlueStar range?
I am getting a 30" BlueStar RNB range for my kitchen...
ILoveCookie
Sponsored Products
Hayes Wall Unit with Glass Doors - Mahogony
Zuri Furniture
Black Abby Three-Drawer Storage Unit
$229.99 | zulily
47'' Double Trough Carrara white Marble Bathroom Sink - LOVE
Living'ROC
Rockford Urban Stone Gray Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Virtu GS-4036-WMRO-DW-001 36 Dark Walnut Single Vanity with Marble Top
Blue Bath