burnt pan

HeidiHoHumAugust 14, 2005

I have stainless steel pans. I was making carmelized pecans the other day, the pan got too hot, the brown sugar burned, and now the pan is BLACK. I have soaked and soaked to no avail. I don't want to mess this pan up since it is brand new. Any helpful hints for how to get this burned on brown sugar off of my pan? Thanks a bunch!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonsgirl

What I do is take a small handful of Tide (powder) and put it in the burnt pan with some water, put it on the stove and bring it to a boil...the stuff usually just liquifies and you can pour it right out. This is gentler to your pan than scraping and scouring it. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 1:46PM
socks

I do pretty much the same but with automatic dishwashing detergent. Let it simmer a bit, set a bit and it should come out pretty easily. (Just don't forget and let it cook dry like I do!!!)

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 7:22PM
HeidiHoHum

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both and neither worked completely. I still have some stubborn spots that just do not seem to want to give up! I tried using an SOS pad also but that didn't do the job either on those persistent spots.

I am going to keep boiling and scrubbing though. I will not accept defeat!

Thanks again:)

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 4:11PM
wannadanc

My friend, Connie, suggests trying Dip-it - get water boiling, take off heat, add Dip-it. OR even cream of tartar - but the consensus here is that nothing will work w/ one try only.

good luck

Vicki

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 2:10PM
HeidiHoHum

SUCCESS!!! It took alot of elbow grease but I got the pan clean. I kept boiling, scrubbing, boiling, scrubbing until finally I was able to use the edge of a spoon to gently scrape the remaining spots off. Man that was hard work. I think I will be MUCH more careful when cooking with the pots and pans now :-)

Thanks for all the tips!
Heidi

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 10:40AM
downtowner

In the past it has been suggested that you leave a fabric softener sheet in water overnight.

Never tried it myself.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 7:44PM
jannie

I did the same thing about a year ago. Bought a bottle of cheap store-brand sudsy ammonia. Pour in on full-strength, then seal in a plastic bag and let it soak 24 hours or longer. Most of the black stuff lifted right off, I did a second treatment and it was perfect!

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 10:11PM
HeidiHoHum

I am keeping these suggestions taped to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets...hopefully I will not ever have to try them, but realistically I am sure I will burn again!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Bookmark   September 17, 2005 at 9:10AM
jannie

Me too. The pot I ruined was my spaghetti pot. I threw a handful of salt in it and set it on the gas burner- no water! What was I thinking???

Bookmark   September 17, 2005 at 6:13PM
melissag

Anyone know if this stuff works with the LeCruset pots and pans? I have a few that I have inadvertently burned and feel horrible. My mom gave them to me and I know that as stone ware they will last a long time, I just would love to have them clean.

Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 8:14PM
delia49091_yahoo_com

I burned a pan very badly ... scraped off the very worst and then soaked in just enough Coca Cola to cover the burnt parts...within a few hours the pan was easily scrubbed clean. Don't see why this wouldn't work on glass pans also. All you do is let it sit!!!!

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 12:33AM
johnapos_quickleen_com_au

Quickleen will remove ANY stain or burn from stainless steel. Order now

Here is a link that might be useful: Quickleen

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 3:18AM
ebrahana_gmail_com

I burned a pan very badly with brown sugar ... scraped off the very worst and then soaked in just enough vinegar to cover the burnt parts and boiled ...within a few hours the pan was easily scrubbed clean.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:24PM
Omelet

I burnt applesauce and now the charred sugar is stuck to the pot. I tried boiling water and boiling water with dish soap in it. I scraped with plastic "flipper" because my pot is anodized aluminum. Not much came off. I am afraid to put anything harsh in it, like oven cleaner. Anyone have more ideas?

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 7:20PM
snookums2

I find letting it sit with a sprinkling of comet, soft scrub, or something else with a little clorox in it and it comes off very easily.

Will have to try Tide or fabric softener in the future!

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™