Please Help! Awful Smell

cofredAugust 13, 2007

I need any tips/suggestions to get rid of a horrible odor in my home. I noticed an almost bad garbage smell at the beginning of the week. I took out the trash emptied and cleaned all the recycling containers. By Saturday it was horrible now it smells almost like a cat urine smell. We thought we narrowed it down to our work shop. Our shop is attached to the house with access through the garage and is heated and cooled. We cleaned the entire shop cleaned floors and wiped everything. We thought we got the smell but didn't know what caused it. This morning it is worse. Now I smell it IN the house. I am pretty sure it's in the air duct but how do I find it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed_tree

If you are lucky, there is a male ginkgo tree or a cobra lily blooming near your work room. Many beautiful ornamentals smell like urine and worse. However, methinks you smell a rat. Rat urine is very smelly and a dead rat goes through many unbelievably stinky stages of decomposition. To see if there's something in your duct, cover all the openings with plastic or foil, wait a day, and then uncover one end and give it the sniff test. Sorry, but I don't know how you might clean out a duct.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 2:48PM
cofred

Thanks! I will give it a try. The only tree close out outside is a crabapple tree. It's annoying always getting hit with falling apples but it doesn't stink. I have seen evidence of mice in our garage. However I have never seen evidence in the shop or the house who know though mice can get anywhere. :(

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 9:56AM
socks

Do you have a crawl space under your house? You could check there and also in the attic.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 11:29AM
cofred

No crawlspace or attic over the shop portion of the house. We are taking off vent covers etc. this evening see if we can see anything.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 1:53PM
jones123_123

I know someone who used Dream Clean and they were very dissatisfied. Don't call them. They shouldn't be advertising here anyway so I guess that shows their work ethic by advertising where it's not appropriate.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 6:12PM
ebear1271

I would try a duct cleaning company if you think it's in the duct work. Safety King is the big one out by me, not sure if they're national or not. They would probably know the best way to go about actually cleaning the ducts.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™