Cleaning unsealed slate tile kitchen floors

soozaayAugust 19, 2009

Help!

What do you recommend to clean an unsealed slate tile kitchen floor? I would prefer to use a "green" product, but any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sewhappy_2007

May I ask why you don't seal the tile? You can seal with a matte finish as well as a gloss. Keeping the floor clean would be so much easier if sealed.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moug

you don't need to seal a slate floor necessarily but you do need to seal the grout for sure, you can mix 1 Tbsp of borax and 1 Tbsp of liquid castile soap I like Dr bonners peppermint now you must disolve the borax in boiling water then add castile soap and a couple of litres of plain hot tap water. This will not damage the stone the grout or the sealer. Do it in sections sloshing a layer of mixture over floor and push around a little with a rag scrubbing any dark grout and leave for 5 to 10 minutes. Now mop up and move on to next section. This sounds like a lot but you really should only have to wash these floor every few months if you don't have heavy dirt around just keep them well vacumed and spot washed If you have any chips that show white you can rub a little vaselin on them to blend it in. You should check if your installer did use a sealer and have it sealed a sealer won;t make or shouldn't make it shiny and these are truly carefree low maintence floors I love them they don't show the dirt easily.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™