steam clean carpet w/ natural cleaner?

nyrgirl35August 3, 2011

I have the hoover steam vac for my carpets. I use to use the shampoo that comes with it but with my kids I dont want use the shampoo anymore because of possible harmful chemicals. Esp since I have an infant crawling around. Has anyone used vinegar in the hoover and if so how much? and did it work well? Any other suggestions besides vinegar? I do boil the water on the stove first so its steaming water that I use. My rugs arent that bad it's more for just freshening them up. Also I have two area rugs from Lowes they look fine but over the years have become very very flat and not fluffy and plush anymore. Anyway I can get them back that way? Obviously I know they arent the best quality rugs, just wondering if there is anything I can do or is that it because of the quality. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eviemp

I use just vinegar and water and it seems fine although my carpets aren't real dirty. I wouldn't use any chemicals either.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 5:10PM
ccecilm

I have the same machine and use plain old white vinegar each time. Just fill the "shampoo" tank with straight vinegar as you would shampoo. I was told and have noticed that the carpet stays cleaner longer since I stopped useing shampoo.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 6:17AM
prairiedawnpam

I've used natural, orange based cleaners like TKO to freshen the carpets. A bonus is that the house smells wonderful after.

...Pam

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 10:16PM
maggie200

What if your area rug made of wool is dirty? Will the vinegar clean it?

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 3:40PM
SharperClean

The good form of carpet cleaning is always prevention. Taking proper care and maintaining your carpet clean will save you money from having to buy expensive cleaning products. Never rub rashly and carelessly at a carpet stain, this may only cause it to smear and become permanent. Also, doing this will weaken the fiber causing your carpet to wear out quicker.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 12:32AM
jannie

SharperClean is right about prevention being the best alternative. Do you vacuum at least weekly? Lay down matts by doors to catch drips,dust,leaves,etc. Shake the matts outdoors weekly. Then you won't have to clean so often. I applaud you for not using chemicals around children.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™