this blog post about appliance selection is worth a read

lori_inthenw_gwApril 22, 2014

... even if just for the cartoon!

And here's something to keep in mind, too:
"The web-space is filled with passionate folks who got to that point because they had a bad experience and are eager to share. It is good to know how poor of an experience you could potentially have, but it's tough to understand the likelihood of having that experience solely from reading web posts."

I agree it is helpful to hear about issues others have had, but I have found it really difficult to get an idea about how frequently problems occur. I figure people who have a problem with something are more likely to complain where happy folks just go about their business. But is the ratio of unhappy to happy customers10 to one or 100 to one?

Anyway, this is something I would have found helpful when I was starting the process. Now that our appliances are sitting in the garage awaiting installation, it's more or less academic!

Here is a link that might be useful: article by appliance sherpa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malabacat_gw

I love the cartoon! So so true! We bought a floor model 30" all gas Viking range in the 90's. We'd heard of Viking and that's about it. So we went for it, no research, no stress, and it's been wonderful. Now we're redoing our kitchen and the bigger space and our cooking needs really call for a larger range. So we're getting a 36" range. And the research, and worry and looking and more research and so on is ridiculous! Thanks for sharing this.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:01PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Yeah, I sometimes fondly remember the days when you'd just go to the local store, take one pass through it, and point at something. Same for lighting, plumbing, etc. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:11AM
sjhockeyfan325

The cartoon is pass-around worthy! It's not just the availability of information and reviews, it's the availability of choices too. I was in Loew's looking for an LED lightbulb. The choices were completely overwhelming - LED, Halogen, Incandescent, Fluorescent, flood, spot, wide, narrow, and on it goes. There must have been 800 different ones!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Zephyr vs Modern Aire vs Prizer Under the Cabinet 30"
I will have a 30" induction range, and need an...
cudjoegal
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Flimsy dishwasher!
I have to admit that I have never heard of most of...
grapefruit1_ar
Need Help Selecting Propane Cooktop
I am looking to replace an electric cooktop with a...
dandkmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™