patriotic house number plaque I made (picture)

donnas_gwMay 27, 2010

I made this plaque and am really proud of it. I didn't think it would turn out this well. I saw a similar one on another house and decided to make my own. I like mine alot better. The one I saw didn't have the stars on it. These stars are pre-cut wood stars that I painted and hot-glued on. The house numbers are plastic and I got them at Walmart. After everything dried, I gave it a couple coatings of acrylic clear gloss. I only hung it on the front door to take a picture of it. It is now hanging on the outside of my house beside the front door. I have vinyl siding, so I used 2 small plastic clips that slide up under your siding to hang it. I had to tighten the wire, so that is not visible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phonegirl

Donna, wonderful job making your house sign. So glad you posted for us to enjoy. It's perfect. Adding the stars was a great idea and love the numbers you used.

Punk

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:43PM
oldalgebra

Wow. Very nice. I love patriotic decorations.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 10:44PM
jeannespines

Looks great! Memorial Day patriotism!

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 12:14AM
Purplemoon

ooooh, I LIKE that. A lot. I love Patriotic stuff, and especially the Americana colors that aren't so bright.
You make me wish my house number wasn't 4 numbers, the
3 of yours is just perfect for this!
Nice Job!

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 12:56AM
excessfroufrou

Great job, it looks wonderful. The stars are the perfect touch.
Frou

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 11:35AM
luvstocraft

I love it, and you did a wonderful job on it! I too love Patriotic colors. Having the stars and numbers attached just gives it even more dimension--great idea! Luvs

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 12:36PM
donnas_gw

Thanks everyone!! The top part where I have the numbers looks like I used 2 different shades of white (around the 9). Only thing I can think that might have caused it was the reflection from my camera's flash when I took the picture. My daughter wants me to make her one now, so I need to go back to Lowes and get another board and more antique white paint. I have plenty of the other colors.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 1:15PM
bettyd_z7_va

I love it! I have no talent for these neat things y'all make. Have to buy my stuff.

How much weight can those clips and your siding hold without damaging the siding? I have a rather heavy plaque with birds on it that I want to hang near my back door soooo badly.

TFS,
Betty

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 2:57PM
jaybird

That is very nice!! You did a great job!
Thanks for showing us...I may have to copy you :^)
J

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 4:13PM
donnas_gw

jaybird, go ahead and copy if you want. It doesn't matter to me:)

bettyd, the clips I used are actually a type of Christmas light clip (or hook). See image below. I had bought them at Walmart years ago to hang 2 small artificial trees with flat backs on each side of my picture window. This hook is no longer than about 1 1/2". The small lip at the top of the straight part hooks under my siding. This plaque that I made is not heavy at all. I think there is something else you can buy at the hardware store for hanging heavier items. I have no idea what it is called. Not sure about how much weight vinyl siding can hold either. You could go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask someone there :)

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
bumping up links to our Inspiration Albums
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2812708/inspiration-pictures-reminder...
Purplemoon
Valentine Decor
It was a little crazy decorating this year for Valentine's...
phonegirl
Christmas, 2014
Our kitchen
swest2_gw
Winter decor gone, here's Valentines
Just changed out the items on my kitchen table. I really...
luvstocraft
from Purplemoon
I still haven't gotten Houzz to accept my old name,...
Purplemoon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™